Author Topic: naps/sleep and my 9 week old boy  (Read 861 times)

Offline lisanicole

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 09, 2015, 00:34:31 am »
hi there, my 9 week old has just in the last 2 nights began waking every 45mins/1.5 hrs after his first wake up and feed which was usually between 1 and 3am. this has got earlier, midnight/1am ish.  he hasn't napped properly (whatever that is) for the last 2 days - I don't know if he's overtired/undertired or just having a phase, but I cant seem to get his awake time right. I've tried 1hr, 1 hr 15 mins, 1.5 hrs, 2 hrs put him down awake/sleepy but awake - might drift off for 30 mins then wakes up. i've tried leaving him, feeding him - but he then falls asleep feeding and if I put him back to bed he wakes right up. I know sleep patterns change a lot, but he was sleeping what i'd consider a good amount during the day and only having two night time wakes previously. If I didn't have a toddler running around I'd just lie down with my baby and have a sleep myself but I just cant this time round!

any advice/ideas greatly appreciated. thank you

Offline lisanicole

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:04:25 am »
I forgot to add he was born 3 weeks premature...

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: naps/sleep and my 9 week old boy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:23:31 am »
Was he born at 37 weeks or 34 weeks then?

My 9 week old sounds exactly the same  >:(. He was born at 35 weeks.

I think a lot of my issues are due to wind/ reflux. He just keeps gulping himself awake.

Can you AP him at all eg sling/ buggy while you play with your toddler? My big 2 are in school but it makes little different - I still can't get him to sleep longer than 15-20 mins.

I'm hoping this is mainly developmental.

With very frequent night wakings you do need to think about wind/ reflux.

Offline lisanicole

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 01:56:12 am »
oh sorry he was born at 37 weeks. and he is 9 weeks old today. he was sleeping beautifully, and I just wonder why suddenly he's stopped. he does spill up a lot of milk, or at least he does compared to my first baby, so yes he does have a bit of reflux. and he does seem quite uncomfortable with wind at times after feeding.

I have been feeding him every wake up, not that he drinks much, thinking that he could have been having a growth spurt, but I'll try resettling without feeding as I could be making it worse. will see how we go.

otherwise, as you say it could be a developmental thing. I'm sure its not a self-settling issue as he will go to sleep on his own (not always but  often). but his naps are just perplexing me as he just wont sleep for longer than 30/45 mins...and all this in the last couple of days... ???

Offline ~Lori~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: naps/sleep and my 9 week old boy
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 05:37:02 am »
All my kids have done the 30-45 minute naps consistently from around 2 mths til around 4 or 5 mths.  I tried tweaking and yes, sometimes it was OT or UT but I think overall it is developmental at this age because they do eventually stop doing this (or my first 3 kids have) pretty much around the same time without a ton of intervention from me.

With the frequent night wakings, with that many, i wonder if it is reflux and waking more due to being uncomfortable?
Mom to:

DD--Touchy, then Textbook, 2006
DS1--Spirited, 2009
DS2--Textbook, 2012
DD2--Angel, 2014