Author Topic: 3-5 min feeds over 2 hours awake time  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Nilsli

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3-5 min feeds over 2 hours awake time
« on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:50 am »
Hi there!

I am struggling with the feeding of my baby boy right now. He changed his eating pattern last few weeks. He is 4 months, 1 week :) He is fully BF.

After he wakes up, he eats for 3-5 min only. He burps, and spits up a bit, but then he will not eat again. I know he is not full, because if I put him back at the breast after 15 min, he will eat 3-5 min again, and so it can continue for the 2 hours he is awake. He never empties the breast completely during the awake time.

However, the last feed before he goes to bed he eats constantly for about 20-30 min and empties both breasts!! But of course he then spits up a lot as he got A LOT of food.

He also wakes up 3-4 times at night to eat about 5 min and then back to sleep.

He has a bit of mild reflux but not medicated, doc says I shall keep him upright after feeds and that is enough. But as he is not full after the 3 min feed, and I keep upright, we do nothing than feed, keep upright, feed etc.

Anybody that could give me advice? I feel it is not right to feed him over a period of 2 hours when he is awake, but if I don't I am afraid he will not get the calories during the day and wake up even more at night.

Shall I restrict his feed period to x minutes and hope he gets more effective?!?

THANK YOU!!! :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 3-5 min feeds over 2 hours awake time
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 19:21:56 pm »
Going to move you over to the breastfeeding board x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 3-5 min feeds over 2 hours awake time
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 20:15:07 pm »
No don't restrict his feeds.  Reflux babies often feed little and often because the milk soothes the burning but then too much milk causes more reflux.

I'd talk to your doctor again and let him know the reflux is interfering with his feeds and that keeping him upright isn't cutting it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011