Author Topic: when to stop the last milk meal (@ 14m ours is BT sippy)  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Gosia M.

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Marcin, my DS born 19/12/2013
when to stop the last milk meal (@ 14m ours is BT sippy)
« on: February 10, 2015, 14:57:09 pm »
Hi ladies

I was wondering when should I stop giving my DS (14m) BT milk or change it to a "supper snack". Our current feeding plan is as follows:
[7ish WU]
8.00 cereal on milk with fruit
11.30 lunch
[12.15 nap]
14.30 snack
17.00 dinner
18.30 milk (240ml/8oz)
[19.00 BT]

I don't really have any problem with that milk, I was just wondering what is typical :) And the last thing - until what age is the minimum of 350ml milk a day recommended?

I'd appreciate you POV.
G.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: when to stop the last milk meal (@ 14m ours is BT sippy)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 19:35:06 pm »
Hi, I think it's a personal choice hun. They still need around 300ml of milk or calcium from cheese etc, it's just milk becomes a drink rather than a meal really. Think that continues for a while yet. I believe they can switch from full fat to semi skimmed at around 2yrs old but I'm not really planning to.

We still have a straw cup of milk first thing in the morning and one before bed as DD likes it so much. As long as teeth are brushed before BT after the milk, I think there's no reason to stop it if you're still happy?

Offline Gosia M.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 20:01:48 pm »
Thanks Kellyjs! Sounds fair enough:) maybe we'll just switch to a straw since our sippy is a bit soft. We weaned morning milk @12m since it affectred amount of cereal which I belived had more nutritional value than plain milk.

Another question then:) we've never tried raw cow milk before and DS is still on formula. Any advice how should I try?  Should it be boiled or can be raw (pasteurised of course)? This question sounds a bit silly to me but I haven't read anything about it before really. I guess we could then have a warm unsweetened chocolate milk before BT and then teeth brushed. WDYT?

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:15 am »
We just have pasteurised milk here and it's fine. You can slowly reduce the ounces of formula and top up with milk so as not to give him too much of a shock. I tried this and tbh it only took around a week and she was drinking whole milk just fine after that. Personally I wouldn't give chocolate milk but that's just me, I like the fact DD loves her milk! Xx

Offline Gosia M.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:30 am »
Good idea! I'll try that! thanks!

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:09:05 am »
Good luck! And milk is much cheaper than formula anyway. Actually here milk is cheaper than water which is just ridiculous!