Author Topic: Not interested in solids - cut milk feeds??  (Read 1434 times)

Offline falcon6

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Not interested in solids - cut milk feeds??
« on: February 10, 2015, 15:05:08 pm »
Hi all, my ds is 7.5 months. Recently weaned from breast to 4 x 6/7oz bottles/day and taking 4/5oz at night (12/1am usually). He has little to no interest in solids. He won't open his mouth for a spoon and seems to enjoy playing with finger food but doesn't swallow any. Of course my dd1 was a totally different story and took to solids happily from Day 1.
I have read the article on baby's refusing but it's hard not to worry/get frustrated! I'm just wondering if I should look to cut his milk intake to stimulate his appetite? He should technically be only on 3 x 7oz bottles at this age.. He is 18lbs and in 50th percentile for weight at recent health check.
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Not interested in solids - cut milk feeds??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 16:35:37 pm »
It's perfectly normal for a LO this age to be on 4 milk feeds per day and for many a night feed too.  It's also quite normal for some LOs not to be too interested in solids right away but become more interested later on, say around 9 months or so.  I know how we all worry about food and milk though.
If you wanted to cut a milk feed I would look at that night feed. This would be a suitable time to gradually wean that and bring all the calories into the day hours. You might find his interest in solids picks up after dropping the night feed.

Offline falcon6

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 17:42:58 pm »
Thanks for your reply, re-assuring to hear you say all those things! Yes, I feel the night feed may be largely habit for both of us at this point. In going to try dropping an ounce every few days and see how we go.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 19:05:50 pm »
Sounds like a good plan :)