Author Topic: Questions about starting a more predictable routine  (Read 2273 times)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Questions about starting a more predictable routine
« on: February 08, 2015, 23:20:41 pm »
DS is 10 weeks old. We have the EAS pattern down pat and he is getting easier to settle to sleep so I'm starting to think about getting some predictability back into my day. Is it best to start by waking him at the same time every day? Right now, wake up varies anywhere from 7 to 9 so BT changes accordingly with his days being anywhere from 11.5-13 hours, depending on naps.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Questions about starting a more predictable routine
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:53 am »
Is it best to start by waking him at the same time every day?
This will make the days more predictable for you. As there is a 2hr difference between his WU time I'd probably introduce a set WU time gradually as it sounds like he is self regulating his sleep (great!). So rather than suddenly waking him at 7am every day (when he might have wanted to sleep until 9) either wait for a 7am WU and begin the following day or bring WU earlier in steps. EG if not awake by 8.30am you will wake, then after a few days if not awake by 8am then you will wake etc.  Because you don't want to start the day on him being tired or getting OT in his first A time.
I've said 7am just as an example, but you choose whatever WU time suits you best. If it was me, I'd look at what mum and baby groups and activities are available and what time they are on, then make my plans based on getting out somewhere.
hth

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 20:39:53 pm »
I like the idea of introducing a set WU gradually. I was feeling it would be a little abrupt since it changes so much each day and I don't want to ruin his ability to self-regulate. What is the longest night you would allow? Today I woke him after 13 hours (including NFs) mostly because DD was antsy to get to daycare and see her friends. He sleeps so much more than DD ever did, so I am not always sure what to do with this little guy.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 20:43:47 pm »
What is the longest night you would allow?
It really depends on what a normal length night is for him. If he regularly does 13hrs or longer then I'd make sure he is in bed in time to allow for that whilst also allowing for you to get him up so you can get out the house on time. If you need to get everyone ready to get to day care then this is of course going to have an impact on WU time.
Have you been recording his EAS times?  Do you see a rough pattern of nap length, night length and overall amount of sleep in 24hrs? that could help you decide how long a night he needs and what time to get him down for the night.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 20:50:32 pm »
Have you been recording his EAS times?
I have actually been avoiding logging times because I got way too obsessive over it with DD and I am working hard on being more relaxed this time around. That said, he seems to need about 17 hours of sleep in 24 and prefers long (2h+) naps. He seems to do a longer night if he didn't sleep as much in the day. I'll have to pay more attention to his average night length.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 21:26:41 pm »
Totally understand not recording and not getting obsessed with sleep.
Maybe just reocrd for a set number of days?  Give yourself a time limit and then stop? Maybe 3 days observation without changing anything, then 3-7 days after beginning to shift his morning WU time?
I only ever logged times when we had routine changes or obvious problems which needed some sort of routine change, and stopped again as soon as it was resolved.

Back to what you said.  Am I missing something? 17hrs sleep in 24, he's having 13 at night and if naps are 2hrs+ long, then is he already on only 2 naps???

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:30:38 am »
I think logging for only a set time is a good idea and if I feel myself getting obsessive I am going to stop. I think it's best if I just post it on here so it's not on a paper that I can constantly look at. You don't need to reply each time I post our day. Kick me in the butt if you see me getting carried away ;)

I could be wrong about the 17 hours. I have also been trying to not count how much sleep in a day (leads me to worry) so it was a best guess. Not all nights are 13 hours. They range from 10.5-13. The short ones happen when he wakes to eat around 6/6:30 and he doesn't go back to sleep right away and I have to get DD. He really isn't ready for the day after the short nights. Some days he has 3 naps and sometimes 4 depending on the length and timing.

Yesterday (as best as I can remember was):
WU: 7:15
S: 8:45-11:15
S: 12:50-2:15
S: 3:45-5:45
BT: 7

Today:
WU: 7:45 (I woke)
S: 9-11:45 (I woke)
S: 1:15-2:45
S: 4-4:45
S: 5:55-6:40
BT: 7:30
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:34:46 am »
OK maybe closer to 18 or 19 hrs sleep in 24 :)

as you've had 2 days WU between 7.15 and 7.45 in a row I'd prob start the WU plan now at 7.45am. Is this the latest you'd like him to sleep to give you time to get everyone ready to leave the house for day care?
And aim for 7pm BT (so night is 7pm to 7/7.45 allowing up to 12hrs 45 if he has a 6am NF and doesn't go back to sleep you'd need to adjust your day but try to get him close to a 6.30/7pm BT so you get back on track with 7/7.45 WU the following day)
You will still have flexibility in the day so you can follow cues and not be too focused on times.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 01:53:52 am »
Last night I had to do some resettling after BT. He woke after 40 min and then again after 20 more so I fed him and he took a bit to go back down.

Today was:
WU: 7:15
S: 8:30-9:30 - I tried resettling but it didn't work
S: 11:20-2:50 (I woke)
S: 4:10-5:45
BT: 7

I think 7:30/7:45 is the WU we'll aim for. I do have a fair bit of flexibility as DD doesn't have to go to daycare (she wants to go) and there's no set time we need to be there. He has his first needles tomorrow which might throw things off a bit so I'm just going to see how the next few days go.

DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:39:51 am »
S: 11:20-2:50 (I woke)
Wow! He really does like a long nap hey!?

Just looking at the couple of EASYs you've posted it seems he might be getting an UT nap after 1hr 15 min A time. I know you don't want to be clock watching but it seems he is doing better on 1hr 30 or a little more.  Keeping him up a full A time might also help to regulate your days.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 02:17:41 am »
Good observation about A times. I generally put him down around 1h10/1h15 and I'm not sure exactly when he falls asleep. I'll try to do at least 1h15 before I put him down. Today was:
WU: 7:30 (I woke)
S: 8:50-9:10 (carseat)
S: 10:20-1:05
S: 2:30-4:50 - quick resettle at 3:25
S: 6:10-6:50
BT: 7:50 - He was very tired in the last A time so I put him down once he started yawning. We'll see how the night goes. I'm not quite sure how much A time to do after an evening CN.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 08:12:32 am »
I think you're doing fine after the CN. It isn't intended to have a full A time after, just to rest LO so they can get through the BT routine.

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 02:37:26 am »
That makes sense.

Today I let him wake up on his own because I knew his am nap would be short as we were going out.

WU: 8:15
S: 9:50-10:30 (carseat)
S: 11:50-12 (carseat), 12:20-2:50
S: 4:20-7 (I woke)
BT: 8:15

I'm going to take a closer look at the past few days tomorrow to work out how much sleep he needs on average. Tonight I am headed for some much needed sleep for myself!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014