Author Topic: 15 mo old sleeps like a newborn. We are spent!  (Read 10070 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 15 mo old sleeps like a newborn. We are spent!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 20:32:46 pm »
Argh... hang in there!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 21:30:34 pm »
Oh dear :( hope it goes better tonight x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 16:49:34 pm »
Yeah not much better at all. I just can't get a good nap out of her so she is SO overtired at night and just wakes up constantly.

Today she was up at 620 and I decided to try a nap at 11. I figured she is waking up by 1245 when I put her down at 1130 maybe she would at least get a half hour more. She woke, mad, at 30 min. :( I patted her back so we'll see what she does from here and if we have to add a second nap today. But I really thought that going to one nap and sticking with it that she would extend but it's not working at all and I know it's part of why the nights are so bad. I know nursing at night is a prop I have to deal with too, but it's not going to get a ton better when our routine sucks. I just don't know what to do. :(
*Kate*

Offline cath~

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 20:05:33 pm »
How did the nap go in the end? Did she sleep much longer?

Does EBT help when she's OT/not napped so much?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline katie80

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 02:08:12 am »
I know nursing at night is a prop I have to deal with too, but it's not going to get a ton better when our routine sucks. I just don't know what to do. :(
Ugh, this is so us. We have a good stretch of one nap days and then he tanks and wakes at 5:30/45 and we have to scratch our way back. ::)

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 19:00:18 pm »
How did the nap go in the end? Did she sleep much longer?
She actually did! Total of 2h15, which is the longest nap in quite a while. Up maybe 4 or 5 times instead of 8 last night? Still with the early evening NWs, though, whch I always think are OT.

Went for 11am nap again today. Didn't wake at the 30 min mark but woke at 1225. I nursed her for 15 min extra but that was that. I just don't know what to do with her!

Ugh, this is so us. We have a good stretch of one nap days and then he tanks and wakes at 5:30/45 and we have to scratch our way back.
Hugs, Katie. This is so rough! I've dealt with my share of sleep issues through the years but I'm not usually struggling this much at this age, as far as I can recall. It's awful! Two of my closest friends have had babies this week and while part of me looks at them and is a little sad, mostly I'm like I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN AND I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!! I would go back for a couple of hours and snuggle my babies as newbies but I can't fathom going through this again. It's been so, so hard. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, either. Every time I think I do, it gets farther away. :(
*Kate*

Offline cath~

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 20:56:34 pm »
It does sound like the extra NWs are OT related. Tricky then to know how to deal with them when there is OT. Does EBT help?

Still with the early evening NWs, though, whch I always think are OT.
For us early eve NWs are OT (rare as H is LSN) or teething/illness.  The rest I think are prop related.

What if you treated the early eve NWs as OT and fed to resettle, then after that any NWs try not feeding?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline katie80

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 15:37:33 pm »
It's been so, so hard. I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, either. Every time I think I do, it gets farther away. :(
Oh Kate, lots of (((hugs))). It is so frustrating to still be struggling at this point of the game. Wish I had some magic advice to make it all better. :-*

What if you treated the early eve NWs as OT and fed to resettle, then after that any NWs try not feeding?
Interesting... I have always preferred to resettle the early eve NWs as I'm still awake and have more resolve, and then feed after I've gone to bed.  Neither way is right I'm sure, but good to have that perspective (I hadn't thought of it before!). We're currently on a midnight-ish feed and 3-4am feed. ::)

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 18:48:00 pm »
It does sound like the extra NWs are OT related. Tricky then to know how to deal with them when there is OT. Does EBT help?
With the one nap disasters she is asleep by 615 most nights, sometimes earlier. i can't really see BT much before that since with this she is up 6/615 and I can't handle earlier!

Hmm definitely worth a shot
*Kate*

Offline cath~

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 19:45:26 pm »
Interesting... I have always preferred to resettle the early eve NWs as I'm still awake and have more resolve, and then feed after I've gone to bed.

TBH this is what I do too.  I also find H re-settles more easily early eve.  I assume it's because she's more tired but perhaps it's habit.  The reason I suggested kind of the opposite is that I just this week was reading a suggestion/plan for stopping night BFs in toddlers where the suggestion was to choose a certain period (e.g. 11pm-6am) where you don't feed.  Any other time you can resettle with a feed but that time you don't feed.  The idea being that the toddler learns to associate that period with no milk and so doesn't ask for it. 

I just wondered if your early eve NWs can be eliminated by the right routine/long enough naps, then you might not need to "teach" your DD to associate that time with no milk.  SHe'll perhaps just stop waking then when she's no longer OT.  It's the NWs during the rest of the night that it would be more worth focusing on?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 20:08:10 pm »
I just this week was reading a suggestion/plan for stopping night BFs in toddlers where the suggestion was to choose a certain period (e.g. 11pm-6am) where you don't feed.  Any other time you can resettle with a feed but that time you don't feed.  The idea being that the toddler learns to associate that period with no milk and so doesn't ask for it. 

I think this is what I was ideally trying to do when I started nursing her at the first waking (Which awhile back was 10pm ish) and then going to sleep in the basement. DH was bringing her cold coconut milk and she didn't seem to like it much at first so we figured she would decide it wasn't worth it and sleep. Instead she decided daddy and the cold bottle wasn't so bad! So I think we need to ditch milk between certain hours for sure. I feel a little bad since I work 2-3 evenings a week so I can't be consistent that she will get milk at the 10pm waking, for instance. But she'll have to get used to that, I guess. It's also hard because when I work an evening shift I often don't have time to pump and I don't stress abotu that anymore. But then I get home at 1 or 2am and feel so full so when she wakes I'm actualyl glad to feed her then. but I can go back to pumping in the car on my way home. I think we just need to block out that time and stick to it. I think 11-6 is a good goal for now. 7 hours of sleep uninterrupted sounds pretty amazing, lol.

I just wondered if your early eve NWs can be eliminated by the right routine/long enough naps, then you might not need to "teach" your DD to associate that time with no milk.  SHe'll perhaps just stop waking then when she's no longer OT.  It's the NWs during the rest of the night that it would be more worth focusing on?
I agree about the early wakings. I think they are totally routine related and have gotten significantly worse since we've been trying to manage the 2-1. I do think/hope those will get better with time and routine tweaking. Not thsat I know how to tweak! :P
*Kate*

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 12:12:41 pm »
Well that was a disaster. She napped in the carrier from 1115-12 since we had to be somewhere with the big kids. Tried for another CN in the afternoon but she was having none of it. Asleep at 555 but the night was a DISASTER. Up probably 8 times, for almost an hour at 4. Then for the day at 540. Idon't know how I'm going to make it through. I've already yelled at the bigs before it was even 7. I don't even know when to nap her today. She was up so early that she's going to be exhausted by 11, when I had been napping her, but I feel like earlier and she won't sleep long enough. I just can't get this nap right. :(
*Kate*

Offline katie80

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 19:09:33 pm »
Oh (((hugs))), hon. BTDT with the yelling at the big two... such a rotten feeling! :( Is your DH still gone?

It's too late for this advice now, but could you do a 20min CN around 9/9:30 and then a longer nap about 3hr later? That always worked for my older two... not so much with Charlie.

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 20:06:10 pm »
Oh (((hugs))), hon. BTDT with the yelling at the big two... such a rotten feeling!  Is your DH still gone?
Yeah he's gone until Tues. :(

The day has actually gotten a lot better. C had her best nap in weeks - almost 3h! :D I knew she was exhausted so I put her down at 1050 thinking I would deal with trying 2 naps if she short napped and she slept all the way until 135!! I couldn't believe it! Now I'm not sure if this is indicative or just because she is so tired? Not sure how to read it. I am also not sure about BT. 630? I have no idea what to do since I've had maybe one good nap since we started the 2-1!
*Kate*

Offline katie80

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 23:49:49 pm »
Yeah, I think I would've gone anywhere between 6-6:30 depending on her mood. FX for a much better night for you!