Author Topic: 15 mo old sleeps like a newborn. We are spent!  (Read 10177 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 15 mo old sleeps like a newborn. We are spent!
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2015, 20:03:53 pm »
More (((hugs))) from me too.  It is sooo exhausting. I agree with all the PPs have said :-*
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 08:02:49 am »
Hugs for today and sending lots of strength vibes ~~~~~~~ to get through this x

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2015, 16:49:37 pm »
If im honest i would abandon all night feeds, at this age they dont understand time and as far as she is concerned you are feeding her. Its a bot easier with a smaller child in terms of time, as technically you are just stretching out feeds, but your LO doesnt actually need to eat at night. I think you will make progress if uou dont feed.
I think you are probably right. DH is really struggling with the idea of her not eating at all all night. He thinks she needs some calories. Funny since he is the one sleeping on her floor, you'd think he'd be all over it! But he's a softie at heart and doesn't want her to be hungry. I do think she would be hungry for a couple of nights but I would hope she would shift those calories to the daytime.

When i was weaning night feeds, I would nurse and then read a book or brush teeth so my kids would not associate it with sleep anymore.
That's a good idea

when she cries during the night, how quickly do you run up to settle her? if you aren't feeding her how are you settling her? (sorry if you've already asked this)
Well we had tried waiting but she just escalates. The last couple of nights DH is on her floor so not long at all. Since we've stopped the MOTN feeds he has been laying on her floor and talking to her, which usually works ok but she goes back to sleep for only 30 or 45 min before she wakes again, if that.

in all honestly, i tried all sorts of nice ways to get my kids thru sleeping issues (GW, WI/WO, etc) but being firm, consistent and dropping feeds cold turkey was what worked.  my kids are like those books "if you give a mouse a cookie" and then i'm doing all sorts of crazy things to get them to sleep.
Haha. That made me laugh, at least! My others didn't do this. DD1 would nicely take one feed at night at this age and DS was sleeping through the night. C is just holding on!

I was able to work on my DD STTN when my DS was OOT  - staying with the grandparents. could grandparents watch your other 2 for a few days? it made it so much easier.
I wish but no one lives close by. I've honestly thought about hiring a sitter to come over for the nighttime for a few days! But I can't imagine who nor how much it would cost. :P

I get the frustration... I've felt the same with Charlie and after I've finally gotten him to sleep have gone back to bed and cried for forgiveness because I've felt so angry.  Sleep deprivation is awful!
It really is. We just aren't close to our best selves when this is all going on. :(

I also think it's almost impossible to get rid of all NWs when teeth are erupting.  I struggled to do it with G, and he is very easy-going/textbook. Once the teeth were through, it was quite simple (the 2-3 day struggle and done). 
I do think you're right. The teeth cause so much trouble! C is just an epically slow teether so it's so hard to know when that is the main issue. Although we did have a new one erupt the other day and I think the one on the other side is right behind. Last night we remembered to redose meds at midnight and she did seem to be less unsettled (nice double negative! lol). I hate medicating her twice every night but it does seem to help some.

Thanks for all the hugs and vibes. I am ready to be through this stage! If I was going to be sad about not having another this is really helping so maybe the universe is setting me up for a reason! :P
*Kate*

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2015, 21:08:09 pm »
ugh! exhausted for you :(i i don't know how you are managing...sorry i know that is not helpful. when i was having issues with my DS (as a toddler) i was very depressed about it. you can only survive on broken sleep for so long.

have you read the book Pantley's no cry sleep solution or Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child (in all your free time?)? i got useful tips out of those books as well as BW.
heather

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 15:27:46 pm »
you can only survive on broken sleep for so long.
Exactly! :P

have you read the book Pantley's no cry sleep solution or Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child (in all your free time?)? i got useful tips out of those books as well as BW.
I did back when A was a baby. I think I read every sleep book out there, lol. I tried it but never could get the "no cry" thing down. I thnk she does have a toddler book. I should look for it.

Last night was better. I did feed at 930 when she woke. But not after that. DH slept on her floor and I herd her at 445, pretty mad, but she went back with just him talking and then slept until 6. He doesn't remember her waking another time, so that's promising. Maybe we are getting somewhere!
*Kate*

Offline nona

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 22:30:43 pm »
yea that does sound like progress. her sleep habits are not going to change over night.
heather

Offline cath~

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2015, 07:02:09 am »
Yeah , it does sound like huge improvement compared to where you were coming from xx
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2015, 13:57:46 pm »
Ok last night she woke at 7, 45 min after going to bed nicely. Not sure what that was about. I went to pat her but she was flopping all over so I just sat by the door and she went back quickly. Weird.

Woke at 930, fed her and right back down.

Woke at 3, DH went and laid on the floor and she went back.

We think she didn't wake again until 625! Neither of us remember another waking and he was in there. :)

Progress!
*Kate*

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2015, 14:30:10 pm »
Great! Definite progress... well done for sticking with it!! :) :-*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2015, 18:52:41 pm »
Well done!  Maybe you can take confidence from that to get rid of the 9pm feed too? Xx

Offline nona

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2015, 19:07:04 pm »
awesome!!!!  how are her naps going now?
heather

Offline cath~

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2015, 19:37:25 pm »
Great ;D

I agree with Katherine - I think you could try ditching the 9.30pm feed

Xx
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2015, 22:38:12 pm »
Maybe you can take confidence from that to get rid of the 9pm feed too? Xx
Eeek! Maybe. ;) Definitely thinking about it, I promise!

how are her naps going now?
Better, overall. Still trying to find the right time. Since last night was better I did 1115 today and she woke at 105! So that was pretty good. I think that's pretty close to the right time, now. She always seems to need to be down a little bit earlier than one would expect for her age. Going to stick with this for a bit with 6pm BT. Well, until time change this weekend anyhow. :P I'm hopeful we might shift to 7-7 but it never seems to work out as planned!
*Kate*

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 06:25:28 am »
You can totally do it Kate!!  She can settle without a feed, she's proven that :). And she doesn't need it nutritionally, just think how nice it would be to have the option to have the whole night to yourself :D

• Formerly kmk512
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 01:47:17 am »
Well last night she didn't wake until 5am! 5-6am she was really crabby and I eventually fed her and figured she would go back but no dice. :( But she did take almost a 2.5h nap on her own today! And went down nicely. I'm hoping we are onto something, finally! :D

(Of course since I posted that she will be up a dozen times tonight ;))
*Kate*