Author Topic: Starting ST with my 5mo tomorrow - a couple of questions re naps and settling  (Read 944 times)

Offline CoraDora

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi, this is baby number three and third time using the BW's techniques so you'd think I would know my stuff by now... But I do have a couple of questions - I would be hugely grateful for any opinions.

He's completely 'propped' up (dummy, swaddle, white noise, boob) so we're planning on going cold turkey as we did with number two. I'm just wondering how that works with sssh pat (or a variant thereof) as it seems that Tracy recommended a swaddle for sssh pat. Am I going to have to pat with his arms moving about? Or is it more likely that I will have to pu/pd anyway? I have read the faqs but can't seem to find an answer anywhere (this could all be because of sleep deprivation plus planning/hosting his eldest sister's birthday party which has wiped me out! The answer may very well be there...)

The other thing that I can't get my head around after reading the sleep interview is the nap extending thing - if my lo wakes early from a nap, try to extend for 40 minutes, have a 10 minute break, go back in until it's feed time, feed, try again until they have a long nap, but don't look at the clock. The only thing you are a time slave for is the feeds? Even waking them up to feed? And after a long nap, give them the appropriate activity time? What happens if say, the last nap means it's 3 hours to BT and you only want 2 hours A time, put them to bed one hour earlier?

Like I said, any input would be really helpful! TIA

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Hi there! First off, if you don't mind to post your EASY, that can be so crucial to ST working, just to be sure you are making this as easy on you and LO as possible. I have read the sleep interview too, but have to say, WRT the whole extending nap for 40 minute, take a break and then go back is that I have found trying to extend for 20 minutes or so will definitely tell you whether LO is going to go back out or not. UP to you of course, but a dark nursery with screaming tot is not a great place to be and my efforts to extend beyond that resulted in frazzled Mama and mad LO!

Why do you want to get rid of the swaddle? Lots of LOs keep them beyond 5 months. If you want to get rid of it then you may need to pick LO up and calm him, then put him down. A LOT of picking up is stimulating but it is totally OK to pick LO up calm him before persevering with shh/pat.

I would totally keep the white noise too, it is a tool, not a prop and can be so helpful in drowning out other sibings noise! My 2 ( nearly 3 and 6) still have white noise.

WRT last A time, if the day would be less than 12 hours, you can always AP a  30 minute CN to get to a good BT, or some LOs do better with a shorter day and you can just cut the last A time short and go ahead with BT, if that makes sense!

Maryn

[/url]