Author Topic: Habitual wakening or really needing milk?  (Read 969 times)

Offline ClaireWizz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Habitual wakening or really needing milk?
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:28:06 am »
Hi, just a quick question. My LO is 14 weeks old and we follow a 4 hour EASY. Bedtime is 7pm at which she takes a full 6oz. I don't do a DF as find that encourages her to wake every 2-3 hours for the remainder of the night. She currently wakes between 12 and 2am and will take a full bottle again, stirs around 5:30, but happy with her paci to go back off till 7am. My only problem at the mo is she's not bothered for her first bottle of the day, and will only take between 1 and 3oz...........
Is this because she's had too much during the night and should I be trying her with her paci/sshh pat etc/cool boiled water??

Thanks for any input  :)
Claire

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Habitual wakening or really needing milk?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:37 am »
Hi Claire. Please do not even consider water. She definitely needs the night milk. Instead, could you try nursing her a little later in the morning- say after half an hour? Sometimes they are just not hungry as soon as they wake up. How does that sound?

Offline ClaireWizz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 12:09:28 pm »
I tried giving her her milk at 7:30/8 and 8:30 before giving up. She was next due at 11am, but got a little fussy (understandable) at around 10:30 so give her her next bottle early, which she drained dry!
I wanted to try and keep her morning feed at the same time as she wakes up to help keep my EAS in sync.
I'm not sure if not having a full bottle is affecting her morning nap too? It's such trial and error at the mo!  ???

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 14:13:43 pm »
Hugs, hun. I agree about the trial and error but at 14 weeks, I don't think this should be happening. When did this start? Is she perhaps in a wonder week or something? That can cause fussiness with feeds. Otherwise, yes, your idea of reducing the ounces a bit sounds like a plan. Is she having formula or expressed bm?

I have heard about other mums with similar problems and they too found that their baby would happily take the feed before nap 1 (but that would throw the day off) and others who said that their baby was just never hungry on wake up.

Offline ClaireWizz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 14:30:00 pm »
Lo is on formula. This has been going on for just over a week. Some mornings she will take her bottle, but most mornings isn't interested. Last night she slept from 7pm till 3am, took 6oz and only wanted 2oz at 7am. I don't know much about Wonder Weeks,  but none of her other feeds throughout the day are a problem?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 15:11:25 pm »
Okay, sorry about that. I was basing my advice on breast feeding as breast milk is very light and digests quickly. Why don't you try out your plan? Reduce the amount and see if she will eat more in the morning.