Author Topic: How much milk/baby food should a 6 month old be eating?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline FroggyMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
How much milk/baby food should a 6 month old be eating?
« on: February 16, 2015, 17:27:44 pm »
DD is 6 months 3 weeks old.  I waited to start solids with her until 6 months due to her dairy/soy allergy and reflux.  I tried dairy/soy free oatmeal cereal for a week; however, she did not tolerate it well.  Her pediatrician/pediatric GI said to stop cereal and just start on baby food.  She has been eating baby food once a day for 6 days now.  However, I am wondering if she is getting enough food.  She seems kind of fussy a bit after she eats when she should be full and ready to play. 

She drains all 8 oz. in her first three bottles of the day.  When she eats her last bottle, it has only been 2-3 hours since prior feed (instead of the usual 4 hours apart), so she usually takes about 6 oz (so that's about 30 oz. milk in a day).  She eats about half of a 4.25 oz baby food jar an hour after her first milk feed in the morning. 

I know when babies start draining bottles that you should increase the amount you are offering; however, I thought 8 oz was where you topped off with a bottle at one time.  I then considered offering a second baby food feeding after second bottle, but did not know how long I was supposed to hold at one feeding since I've only just started solids 6 days ago.  What do you guys think?  Any advice on where to go from here?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: How much milk/baby food should a 6 month old be eating?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 20:14:08 pm »
Personally I would up the bottle by an ounce just too see, especially if she is draining them. At this age solids are more about learning new tastes and not really nutritionally important yet. Has she hit the 6 month growth spurt yet?
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: How much milk/baby food should a 6 month old be eating?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 20:27:43 pm »
The fussiness after the solid feed could be that she needs a drink. Tracy's weaning guide included finishing off a solids meal with a milk top up (breast or bottle) I know a lot of people don't do this and offer water instead but my DS *really* wanted/needed milk after his solids in the early weeks and he wasn't even a milk lover. It was only a couple of weeks or so, then he would finish off with water instead.  I also offered water in a bottle to begin with, he had a sippy cup of water there to start learning but when he needed a drink he could get a proper drink from the bottle. It might be worth offering one or the other at the end of the meal to see if it helps with the fussiness.