Author Topic: 7 month old up every 2 hours!! HELP  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Zomeo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
7 month old up every 2 hours!! HELP
« on: February 16, 2015, 19:57:34 pm »
Hi all!

I'm still having major night issues with my little guy who is 7 months today!  These NW have been happening for a solid 3-4 months!!  I can count on one hand the amount of times he has slept for longer than 2-3 hours at a time at night:(  I'm beyond exhausted and in need of some help.  We recently transitioned from 3 naps to 2.  His daytime is wonderful!  He goes right down for a nap-no paci-just puts himself right to sleep by sucking his thumb.  He sleeps for a solid 1 hr and 20-40 mins, 2x per day.  If he wakes early from last nap, I put him to bed early so his awake time before bed isn't too long.

When he wakes at night he screams!  And kicks.  As soon as I pick him up he finds his thumb and calms back to sleep.  It's always a 50/50 chance when I lay him back down if he will go back to sleep or scream again.  I only try to nurse him once in the night, like in the early morning hour between like 2-5am. 

A typical day...

7:15: Wake and feed
10am: Sleep
11:30: Wake and feed
2:30: Sleep
4ish: Wake and feed
7pmish: Bed

Then he is up about once every hour from 8pm-Midnight.  Then 2-3 more times until morning.
Right now he sleeps in a mini crib in our bedroom because of his many wakings, I don't want to put him in his sister's room yet and wake her (they will share a room eventually). 
At a loss at what to do.... :(

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 7 month old up every 2 hours!! HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:06:11 am »
Wow, that's a lot of NWs, (((hugs)))!

So, he's an IS at nap and BT, right?  Daytime routine looks great. Do you always pick him up at NWs or can you settle in the crib sometimes?

So many NWs like that can indicate discomfort. Does he have any reflux/intolerance symptoms? Reflux 101 - General reflux information, Does my LO have food intolerances? Does he eat solids well? What kinds of foods is he eating?

Offline Zomeo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 17:46:05 pm »
I tend to always pick him up at NW and rock for about 1 minute until he finds his thumb again and settles back down.  The last two nights have actually been much better!  Two nights ago he only woke up once and last night just twice.  The difference is that he slept a long time during each day: one 2 hr nap and one 1.30min nap so maybe all of this has been OT??

Solids are slow going right now.  Just basics.  We have never had issues with reflux, etc.

It's interesting you brought up discomfort.  My husband has been saying for months that he thinks the mini-crib is too uncomfortable for DS.  It may be too small since he is mobile now...like sometimes when I get him in the middle of the night, he is on his belly but there isn't much room for him to roll back over.  Also, the mattress seems very hard.  Could this be it?
I think we will get down the full size crib this weekend (even though there is no room for it!!) and see if that helps.

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 06:30:48 am »
Also, the mattress seems very hard.  Could this be it?
I think we will get down the full size crib this weekend (even though there is no room for it!!) and see if that helps.
Definitely worth a try!!

I tend to always pick him up at NW and rock for about 1 minute until he finds his thumb again and settles back down.  The last two nights have actually been much better!  Two nights ago he only woke up once and last night just twice.  The difference is that he slept a long time during each day: one 2 hr nap and one 1.30min nap so maybe all of this has been OT??
Could be... has it been recently that you've moved to 2 naps? Maybe a little OT from the switch. :-\ I think if the daytime continues to go well and you rule out the discomfort of the mattress, you might need to think about helping him settle and find his thumb in his crib. It's possible that even though he's an IS during the day and at bedtime, that the rocking has become a prop at NWs.