Author Topic: Constipation Causing foods  (Read 1702 times)

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Constipation Causing foods
« on: February 16, 2015, 20:47:34 pm »
Hey all! I've been slowly introducing my 6.5 month old puréed fruit and vege for about a month now. Just small amounts, 6-9 tsps 1-2 times a day. Worked up to twice a day just in the last week and a half. I give her, pear, apple, pumpkin, sweet potato and sweet corn. She has been having very hard poos ever since I increased to two meals a day. Sometimes she won't go for up to a week !! She is EBF every 3.5-4hrs Aswell. With the small amount of food and large amount of my milk I wouldn't of thought she would still get so bound up. Before I introduced solids she would Poo once every 2 days. Are the foods I'm giving her ok do you think ? I have been giving her 5mls to 20mls of water of prune juice once a day. (Started yesterday) hoping this helps.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Constipation Causing foods
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 20:54:06 pm »
There's a helpful FAQ here: Constipation and Laxative Foods

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 01:48:03 am »
I guess what I also wanted to ask was, with the small amount of solids should her poos be solid or still fairly runny ?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:05:35 am »
6-9 tsps twice a day is actually a pretty decent amount of food for a 6.5mo, poos may well be more solid with that much.  You could try either cutting back a little or introducing some of the more laxative foods.  Are you offering water in a sippy with her food?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:14:04 am »
Any amount of solids can effect poo really and the amount you are giving is actually quite substantial. It's totally new for their gut.  They do have to push much harder to get the solid poo out which can also take some getting used to.
You could make a puree from the prunes or offer one as finger food.  You could also back off from solids for a few days, or reduce back to 1 meal per day for a while to avoid her getting more constipated.

Posted with Jessmum

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
Ok thanks girls! I might cut back to one feed a day of pears. How much do you suggest giving her then ? I started with 2, then the next week went to 4, then 6 etc. I've read thst once they're taking almost a 1/4 cup (12tsps) that you can introduce another meal? I might also get some probiotics.

Offline lauraims

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:19 am »
Oh and yes been giving her water. Just let her have two ounces a day as I've read they aren't to have too much water until they're 1.