Author Topic: 12.5 mo up all night  (Read 3786 times)

Offline first time mum molesey

• Mum of one
  • New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:56:54 am »
At 10 months DS had bronchiolitis which threw out his good sleep, for 4 weeks he was up for a soliid 2-3hours every night. We tried everything,  DF, EBT, Pupd but nothing really had any affect,  he just stopped doing it one night..  This slowly improved and occasionally he would sleep through til 6.30,  last thurs being the last time.  For the last 5 nights now he's gone back to waking for 2-3 hrs a night. This time though its accompanied by hysterical crying as soon as he wakes up which is usually 1.30-2am.  He then gets frustrated as he can't seem to get back to sleep, needing a cuddle just to stop him from crying and get back to sleep.  He's never really been much of a crier before but now even during the day he's starting to throw serious tantrums and get really miserable. He really is no fun to be with anymore.

Tonight we have had the worst night ever. He went to bed at 6.30 and then woke at 9.30pm not settling until midnight,  up again at 2am for half an hour and then awake from 4.30am and still not settled at 6am.

Any tips before I start to cry?

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 12.5 mo up all night
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:37:54 am »
((Hugs)) Any chance he's coming down with something?

If you're sure he's not ill, can you post his current EAS for us to have a look at. Also, what do you do when he wakes?
~ Naomi ~

• Mum of one
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 13:24:19 pm »

He hasn't any other symptoms at all but of course it could always be teething, he's only got his bottom two and the top two have just broken through. I just don't know on that point.

As for his easy he was a textbook baby, we started  at 9 weeks and by 11 weeks he was on the routine and has stuck with it since, we dropped the second afternoon nap and have started to reduce the morning nap, although I'm not sure whether to reinstate the full 2 hour morning nap as he's sleeping so little at night and obviously OT during the day which we're trying to counter with EBT at 6.30 instead of 7pm but this appears to be making no difference.

7am wake up and bottle
8.15 breakfast
10-11 nap
12 lunch
1-3 nap
5.45 dinner
6.30 bottle and bed by this time

He's at nursery 3 days a week when his napping is out of sorts, sometimes he has only an hour but he is always happy and it has never affected his night time sleep before but recently as soon as we get him home he is miserable and crying because he is tired so we try and put him to bed asap those nights but its still not much before 6.30pm due to the time we get back.

He doesn't need settling at bed time or at nap time we just put him down and he goes to sleep but in the night its become a different story.  He wants to be held and we do rock him to sleep, mind you I tried this for 45 mins earlier and it did t work, we got up at 6.15 and started the day early.  I have tried keeping him in the cot and shushing an drubbing his head but he always ends up crying again.

Hope that this info is useful. Thanks

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 15:39:32 pm »
Sounds like teething could be playing a part, particularly as long wakings for us were always UT or discomfort. Are you medicating at night for the possible teething pain, it can be a lot more uncomfortable for them at night time as the pressure increases as they lie down, and if I'm feeling a bit under the weather, it's ways worse for me at night.

I don't think it is. Routine thing, as this looks reasonably good at the moment. I would try giving some meds before bed and then perhaps in the middle of the night (as a dream feed can stop ge waking) or if that doesn't work give some as soon as he wakes and see how you get on.

Hugs
~ Naomi ~

• Mum of one
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 02:00:53 am »
With meds we do usually give them as soon as he wakes just in case he is in pain although sometimes im not convinced he is we just do it to cover all bases.

So last night was better, he woke at 1 but I got him to sleep by 2.20 so all in all a good night.  Tonight though is even worse than the other night.  He woke at 10pm just as we were trying to get to sleep and now at 2am is still awake. Hes been crying every time we've put him down, crying hysterically.  We've even tried having him in our bed which we never do but hes having none of it.

We're all shattered and me and OH have no idea what to do with him.

• Mum of one
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:07 am »
He eventually fell asleep on me at 3.15am and I put him in his cot where he stayed til I woke him up at 7.30am. He was quite delightful this morning. Up for 5 hrs at night though? Something must be wrong,  what should I do?

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:04:17 am »
Honey, I'm sorry you had another rough night. I'm not able to provide a long response for now but will be back later, and also will ask to see if anyone is around who can help advise now.

Hugs xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:05:44 pm »
Hello Sweetie, lots of ((HUGS)) I'm so sorry for you both. Do you think it would be worth taking him to see the Doctor just in case this is a pain/discomfort issue with something you're unable to pick up on  ??? I think I would, it can't do any harm. I'd check his temperature regularly too Sweetie. How are his bowel movements  ??? couldn't be tummy related could it  ???

Vicki.x.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 22:24:08 pm by Sammysmammy »

• Mum of one
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 19:44:41 pm »
Thanks for the hugs they do really help :)

I think I will take him to the Dr, it will have to be Monday now but at least if he has really bad nights over the weekend I've a little more to tell the Dr about, I think its a bit hard when you turn up with a happy looking, seemingly well child who has no other symptoms other than bad sleeping. My drs are very good but I do understand its probably very hard for them to diagnose something in those circumstances.

I actually had a nurse appt for his jabs the morning after our first bad night, the nurse listened to the story, took his temperature and put it down to teething. 

Thanks for the support, fingers crossed for tonight and that we all have a better night.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 22:22:10 pm »
My drs are very good but I do understand its probably very hard for them to diagnose something in those circumstances.

I agree Hun, but I always plough on through with vigour when it's DS, better safe than sorry. I never let them make me feel like a fussy Mammy, make sure you milk it! I hope tonight is better Sweetie, I really feel for you. Let us know how he goes, here with lots of ((HUGS)) x.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:30:20 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 15:09:52 pm »
Adding to the hugs.

Just to ask what you're giving him for the teeth (if we're going with the teeth theory for now!) because paracetamol did NOTHING for teeth in our house.  Ibuprofen worked like a charm though.  It targets the swelling as well so is more effective.  Just in case that might help. 

Hoping you get a good night.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 22:25:03 pm »
Just to ask what you're giving him for the teeth (if we're going with the teeth theory for now!) because paracetamol did NOTHING for teeth in our house.  Ibuprofen worked like a charm though. 

Sam here Anne, good point. Also a pillow under DS mattress head to raise it helped a lot.

Hope you get a Docs appt tomorrow Honey, let us know how things are.

((HUGS))

x.

• Mum of one
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 04:50:56 am »
Last night he was up 1-4am, tonight its been 2.30-4.30am.

We've tried nurofen and calpol but I can't say either of them have any affect although we continue to give them as soon as he wakes.

It's been 9 long nights of this now, I dread nightimes now. I dont anticipate the drs are going to find anything and it doesn't seem like there is anything I can  do to help this situation improve.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 08:27:47 am »
Oh gosh Hun, that is so rough :( There HAS to be a reason and IS a reason. Will give it more thought and ask for more eyes Sweetie. Are you giving him the long nap again in the morning  ??? if this is not teething/illness related then I'm trying to figure out if it started out as UT or OT. For sure he's OT now.

Is it all possible that this started out as UT  ??? With 3 hours day sleep his day has been only 11.5 long (presuming he is asleep at 6.30 ish as you say he goes straight away) So just wondering if that could be the answer  :-\

((HUGS))

x.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:35:59 am by Sammysmammy »

• Mum of one
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 12:07:11 pm »
Just rereading the above and with reference to his temperature and bowels both seem to be normal, as is his appetite. I'll stick to nurofen from now on and try the pillow under the mattress.

When this happened before, end Nov, it carried on for 4 weeks, then one night he just slept through and looking back I don't think anything helped, he just got over it.

I have been trying different morning nap times although largely keeping the afternoon nap the same, 1-3pm.  Yesterday we tried 30 mins am, 1 hour pm. Today we've dropped his am nap completely but will stick with the 2 hr pm to see if that has any affect.

I'm finding this morning nap hard to judge, he's been really happy during the last few days so although I assume he is OT there's no signs. I know hes the age when we reduce these so im foccussing on that although i know maybe he could do with the extra sleep, what do you suggest?

The 6.30pm bedtime is def working better though, no more miserable bedtimes now that we were having for a couple of weeks.

As for him being UT when this started, maybe that's a possibility but he's at nursery 3 days a week and on avg has only 1 hr to 1.5 hrs sleep those days and that has never impacted, positively or negatively on his night time sleep and he's been there since he was 9 months old. His bedtime used to be 7.30pm before this so he was getting a little less sleep during the night before.

If there's any more info that I can provide to help assess this then let me know.