Author Topic: 6 week old baby - easy routine help  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Kjmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 19, 2015, 00:16:57 am »
My little one is 6 weeks old and we are focussing on an easy routine but I have a few questions because I'm feeling a little lost about implementing this.
1. If he is still sleeping at the 3 hour mark (and over an hour and a half to two hour sleeping period) should I be waking him up to feed ( say I fed at 8 should I wake at 11 to feed) or should I let him sleep till he is ready to wake up? I've tried waking him and he's still yawning but I feed him at the 3 hour mark and then have some awake time then when he yawns again I begin the sleeping process (the 4 s routine) but it takes him a long time to fall asleep and it's almost as if he never gets to the deep sleep.
2. When he wakes up early should I feed him right away, wait for hungry cues, or wait for the 3 hiur mark?
3. If I wake him up should I feed him right away or wait for his hungry cues?
4. Is it too early to try and set a spefic wake up/bed time? I've been trying to get him into bed for 8 every night. Then when he wakes up in the night I put him back to sleep no matter what time it is and then wake him up at 8. An example this morning he woke up at 6 so I put him back down after his bottle and woke him up at 8 and fed him again to start the day.
5. With A time should I be trying to keep him up for the same amount of time after each feed or just as soon as I see that first yawn begin the settle down time?

I think that is all I have for questions right now but I am sure I will be back for more advice 😄
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:57:52 am by Kjmama »

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 6 week old baby - easy routine help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 16:28:53 pm »
Hello and welcome to Baby Whisperer. I'll try and help you out with your queries

If he is still sleeping at the 3 hour mark (and over an hour and a half to two hour sleeping period) should I be waking him up to feed
I don't think you need to go for a hard and fast routine at the moment. I would wake him up only if the nap was continuing for more than 2.5 hours, as it might affect the rest of the day/night sleep or if it was close to 3 or 4 hours since the last feed. Your supply is still being established and so it is best to nurse regularly. Also, at that time, I was a bit paranoid about dehydration.

When he wakes up early should I feed him right away, wait for hungry cues, or wait for the 3 hiur mark?
Is he willing to wait? If he is not fussing for a feed, then of course you can hold off. But feed if he is hungry.

If I wake him up should I feed him right away or wait for his hungry cues?
I thought that you were waking him for the feed? If not, then let him sleep:p

Is it too early to try and set a spefic wake up/bed time? I've been trying to get him into bed for 8 every night. Then when he wakes up in the night I put him back to sleep no matter what time it is and then wake him up at 8. An example this morning he woke up at 6 so I put him back down after his bottle and woke him up at 8 and fed him again to start the day.
Sounds perfect. 8 is a bit late though. Is it possible to bring BT forward? At that time, my daughter would also wake at 6 for a feed and then continue sleeping till 8 or 9. But as soon as I started waking her up at 7, the NFs stopped. So that might happen for you also.

With A time should I be trying to keep him up for the same amount of time after each feed or just as soon as I see that first yawn begin the settle down time?
At 6 weeks, I would go by sleepy cues but also keep one eye on the clock. For instance, my DD could simply not do 1.5 A before nap 1, despite sleeping through the night. She could only handle 1 hour. You will have to observe your LO and decide. It is best to keep A time absolutely low key at this age, as nearly everything is over stimulating for them.

Hope I got everything. Good luck!

Offline Kjmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:12 am »
Ok thanks for this advice I will be sure to give it a try!
Now just one other question:
- he wakes always once throughout the night (time varies) but isn't screamjng crying more just grunting and groaning with a little bit of fussing going on so instead of resorting to feeding him I have been giving him his soother and either patting or rubbing his back (however I never take him out of his crib) and he calms down and goes back to sleep (this usually takes a minimum of 30 minutes to do). He is having 5-6 bottles threw out the day and downs either 5 or 6 oz each feeding (with his last feeding being at bedtime (I am switching him over to 7:00 bed time now). When he wakes up in the middle of the night like that should I be feeding him?
   - Now I'm a little worried that he might be getting dehydrated but he's getting quite a bit of fluids throughout the day.
   - and if just giving him his soother is okay how long should I be trying to just calm him down for? I think if he was hungry he would be a lot more upset and wouldn't calm down at all, but I'm not sure!! When if ever does the madness of the middle of the night waking end 😉😉😉

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 6 week old baby - easy routine help
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:32:36 am »
You are right in thinking that if he was hungry, you would have a much harder time getting him back to sleep, and he probably would wake up again soon after. If you are able to resettle him this way, go for it.

It sounds like he is getting plenty during the day but to ease your mind, you could always do a dream feed, sometime between 10 & 11, before you go to bed. This is essentially a feed done in the baby's sleep. There is no specific time frame regarding night wakings and night feeds. Him sleeping through now doesn't guarantee that it will continue, you know? There are growth spurts, where they need more food .. Developmental leaps when they need more comfort. Lots of stuff will come up. But for right now, it is wonderful that he is sleeping such long stretches. Good job!