Author Topic: Early waking 4-5am, not hungry, goes back to sleep eventually  (Read 1339 times)

Offline firstbaby2014

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Early waking 4-5am, not hungry, goes back to sleep eventually
« on: February 19, 2015, 16:58:07 pm »
Hi there

It would be great to get some advice.  My first little girl is 21 weeks this coming Saturday.  She has been on 3h EASY since early on and in the last couple of weeks I have been stretching her towards 4 hour EASY.  She has always been a good sleeper but in the last few weeks is waking before 5am, not looking for food, just chatting and laughing to herself in the dark for 20-45min and will eventually drift back off to sleep until 7am.  She is still in our room.  I don't mind putting up with it as she is good to sleep & nap and isn't upset but if there is something simple I can do to help that would be great!
How old is your child? 21w
What’s his/her daily routine? Wakes & feeds 7am; A is now up to 1h45 in the last couple of weeks; S by 9am for 1.5-2h; E at 11am then often we go out during the day so the next S is only short and we are home early afternoon so the next E tends to be by 2.30pm as she is awake longer so gets hungry.  S again by 3pm for 1.5h or more.  Awake usually by 4.30, occasionally a bit later if previous naps have been shorter... asleep for the night by 7pm at latest, sometimes 6.45pm
What’s nap routine? as above
How long are naps? as above
What's bedtime routine? Time? Feeds on both sides / massage / story / nappy bed by 7 (no DF, tried it when she was small but it didnt work out)
Do you bottle or breastfed?? exclusively breast
How much? or how long? has always been a quick feeder, day time 15min max.. bedtime a bit longer
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both offered, only fully drains 2nd at bedtime
How many wakes per night? none to feed, only this current issue of early waking to play
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? as above, happy and chatting in dark 20-45min (we don't turn on any light or make any contact with her, we just turn on white noise which helps settle her)
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? isn't crying
What have you tried to settle??
What do you do for A time and how long is it? mix of play mat, stories, chats with mum / tummy time, sitting in chair
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? not sure possibly teething, drooling alot but doesnt seem in pain. She rolled yesterday for first time, has been trying for a week or 2
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? white noise for day time naps only and early waking
Do they have a lovie? no

I've read the EW posts but can't figure out if it's due to too much day time sleep / routine issues or a developmental thing or otherwise!  All ideas welcome!

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Early waking 4-5am, not hungry, goes back to sleep eventually
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 15:49:23 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW! :)

I've read the EW posts but can't figure out if it's due to too much day time sleep / routine issues or a developmental thing or otherwise!  All ideas welcome!
It could be a matter of too much daytime sleep, but more, I think it's that her first A time is too short, causing the day to be a bit unbalanced. At 5mo, average A time is 2-2.5hr, so I'd start gently pushing the first nap closer to 9:30am (by 10-15min every few days until she starts to sleep through).  This may push out the rest of your day a little bit and BT might get closer to 7:30, until you make the switch to 2 naps. How long does she typically sleep when you're out... 30-45min or more?

You also might want to read through this link, as if the EW comes back, it's likely time to start making the push to two naps... All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Offline firstbaby2014

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 22:14:22 pm »
Hi katie80 thanks so much for reply!
I will definitely start pushing out the A time - I probably tend to be super vigilant looking for sleep cues & maybe put her down too quickly, will need to start stretching it gradually even if she's a bit tired I guess.
Would you count A time from the time of waking (even if still in cot chatting for a few mins in dark) to time of putting down or to time of actually going to sleep?? I had been putting her down after 1h45 awake with the thinking that it could take the other 15m to fall asleep, but more often than not she tends to fall asleep very quickly.
Yep naps when out are 30-45min generally no more unless drifts back after a while for an extra few min if in car or something.
Does it matter that her CN & afternoon nap are kind of in reverse to recommendations due to us being out?
Thank you for the other link will have a read! Really appreciate the replies  :)

Offline katie80

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 19:16:31 pm »
Would you count A time from the time of waking (even if still in cot chatting for a few mins in dark) to time of putting down or to time of actually going to sleep?? I had been putting her down after 1h45 awake with the thinking that it could take the other 15m to fall asleep, but more often than not she tends to fall asleep very quickly.
Yes, A time is from when they wake to when they go to sleep. For some, if they're in the cot in the dark for awhile, that doesn't really count but at this age if it's only a few minutes I don't think it'll make much of a difference. Also, at her age, I only left 5-10min to fall asleep in the cot, as otherwise they fell asleep too early.

Does it matter that her CN & afternoon nap are kind of in reverse to recommendations due to us being out?
Nope... but you'll want to make sure she's not getting more than that 30-45min and eventually less as you start transitioning to two naps.

Offline firstbaby2014

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 19:52:13 pm »
Great thanks fingers crossed!

Offline katie80

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 20:06:38 pm »
Keep us posted! :)