Author Topic: Another 3yo NW thread....  (Read 2173 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Another 3yo NW thread....
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:11:47 am »
DD keeps waking up at night.  She doesn't nap, hasn't regularly for almost a year now.  BT has been set at 6.30/40pm for ages with lights on clock on for 6.40am.  When she wakes she wants us to find her toy (usually under the covers somewhere), sort her blankets out or sometimes she wants a wee.  She usually goes back to sleep pretty quickly but if its anywhere near 5am now she seems to be just lying there and waiting for the clock.  Sometimes dozes but I'm not totally sure.  Not helped by DS next door who likes getting up at 5.30am ::) behaviour is pretty horrid right now and she looks totally exhausted.  I've tried to get her to take a quick power nap this week with no joy so far.  Will try some EBTs but is there anything I'm missing or could try?  Developmental do you think?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Another 3yo NW thread....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:08:50 am »
It's the age when the fears etc kicks in isn't it? So they call out for lost bears etc for reassurance.

With DS I encouraged him to get his own bear with my help! get his own cup of water etc! and from just before age 4 he stopped calling and now never wakes at night. He does have a drink of water and things but sorts himself out happily. DD is intermittent, and has other issues eg night terrors, but she is slowly getting better ass he approaches 5.

We are only just getting past the 5am stuff with DS now - he can finally either self entertain fully or just go back to sleep. He used to wait for the sun as well. If he saw only one or two stars left he thought it was soon and just lay awake waiting for it  >:(. I actually took it off him and gave it to DD who just glances at it to see if it morning or not ie uses it properly! And gave Jacob a digital clock instead, but he was a lot older than your DD when I did that. I think 5.5/6 ish.

EBTs only help to a degree with DS. He's just too low sleep needs. They can be useful with Megan who is more average. In DS they just encourage the EWs instead.

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:59:07 am »
Hi Katherine!
How are things with J? We have been dealing with this on and off for over a mont, if not 2! DS generally doesnt nap (he refuses) but is falling asleep once every 10days to 2 weeks out of pure exhaustion from the bad nights! I dont know what to do anymore about it! He has a looooong NW of 1-2hrs almost every night. I have tried EBT for OT, later BT for UT but no matter what we get the same result.... And if he wakes at 5am or later he is also awake for the day! Ugh!!
Starting to lose it here... :-\

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 08:56:14 am »
A little better here :). She has recovered from a bit of a bug which I think has helped and also managed a crash long night which reset things a bit.  We have also discussed that calling out in the night isn't ok as we all need to sleep and practised finding her teddies under the duvet, on the floor etc.  She knows it's ok to shout for a wee though.  Also we've put her 'in charge' of deciding in the morning if everyone in the house can have a sticker if they slept well.  Not a reward chart as such but she likes the idea :)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:47 pm »
Liam does not call out for me during the NW except to go to the toilet. But after the trip to the toilet he stays awake for at least an hour and I see him on the monitor just laying there... Some nights I just roll over and go back to sleep, ignoring the monitor, but I know he is awake and it drives me nuts!!!! I don't understand why he can't sleep?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 13:24:36 pm »
No idea hun!!! But a very good reason to get rid of the monitor ;). As far as I'm concerned if I can't hear them, they are asleep and means I can rest too xx (not implying ignore them - I can hear both my LOs perfectly without a monitor, I just don't need to know if they're awake and lying quietly)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 13:50:56 pm »
Yes, i know I should get rid of the monitor, especially considering that he will be 3 next month!!! :o :o
I do admit it is a bit of an obsession of mine, seeing him and knowing he is ok. Maybe I will start by turning of the screen so I only hear him through the monitor... baby steps, right? :P

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 13:52:47 pm »
Sounds like a plan :)