Author Topic: The 2am feed.....  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Dollchan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:52:11 am »
Hi all, I've just started implementing Tracy's techniques on my 6 and a half month old boy. We are getting in the swing of things, starting with the Easy technique and using pu/pd. It's all going to plan so far. My big question is, my son has not taken to solids yet, he's just having a spoon of purée for breakfast after a few months of trying( I think he will take to it soon). So his main food source is milk. We are feeding him every 4 hours 210ml. So when it comes to night time after trying the dream feed he woke up at his usual 2am I tried the pu/pd for 50 mins and he was screaming the house down( this was a different sort of cry from the earlier pu/pd), so I had a feeling he might be hungry as he's not on solids yet. I fed him and then did pu/pd he then went to sleep after 45 mins approx. he's a big baby, was 9lb 3 when born ( a day after due date) he's been just above the top percentile in his weight since being born.  My question is, should I cut out the 2am completely and console him with pu/pd or continue with 2am feed untill solids are fully established - so that I know he's definatly not hungry? Many thanks in advance. Amy   :)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: The 2am feed.....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 14:11:34 pm »
Hi there & welcome
When did you start the dream feed? You have to give it a while to work. Could you keep at it for a few more days to see if it makes a difference?

Has he always woken at this time? Before you started on BW, was he waking more times at night? And most importantly, when he wakes at 2, if you feed him, does he eat properly and go back to sleep? That is usually what happens when they wake due to hunger. They drift off while eating. And if he is hungry, I don't think you would be able to resettle him. Even if he did sleep off, he would wake again quite soon, still wanting a feed. 1 or 2 night feeds are still well within the realm of normal for a 6 month old, especially since he is a big boy. You shouldn't bother much about solids and quantities thereof. Solids before 1 are simply for fun & exploration, milk remains the primary source of calories & nutrition. 

There are other reasons for night wakings too, and it might just be that a few tweaks to your routine are needed. What does your daily routine look like at the moment? Could you write it out in E.A.S.Y form? So,
E - 7
A-
S -
you can leave out the Y:)

Offline Dollchan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 21:02:11 pm »
Hey thanks so much for your reply!!!!! Makes me feel so much better, I've only done the Dreamfeed once.... Last night! So I will definitely persist.  The EASY routine I was following was the 4 hour one ( in the book), apart from the fact he wakes at 6.  Today I had to give him an earlier cat nap as he was rubbing his eyes etc, is that ok to adjust sleep times if he seems very tired? How should I wind him down for a nap? I'm not sure what to do apart from switching the lights down low. He's waking up much less since starting the BW routine, which is great! I also managed to half the pu/pd time tonight - a great relief! When he woke at 2am, he took the whole bottle, then I had to do a bit of pu/pd to get him back to sleep.
Many many thanks for your support!!!! :) such a help.
Amy

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:55:11 am »
The EASY routine I was following was the 4 hour one ( in the book), apart from the fact he wakes at 6. 
Actually, the A times in that routine are on the lower side for a 6 month old. By 6 months, most babies (not all, mind you) are doing around 2.45 to 3 hours A and have dropped to 2 naps of 1.5 -2 hours each.
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!
What are A times and how do they fit into the EASY plan?
Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep
Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Today I had to give him an earlier cat nap as he was rubbing his eyes etc, is that ok to adjust sleep times if he seems very tired?
Yes, do follow his cues but at the same time, gradually try to extend the amount of awake time. Don't push him too much as he will get over tired, which will lead to wakings soon after bed and trouble getting to sleep. But again, too much day sleep can lead him to be under tired and can cause the type of wakings you are seeing in the middle of the night.

How should I wind him down for a nap?
It is best to get a solid nap time wind down routine in place. We started out doing exactly the 4S routine outlined by Tracy and have modified it in time. My DD is textbook/spirited, and she needs a longer wind down. We generally walk around the house for 5-10 minutes singing/humming, then go into her room, put her in her sleep sack, sing twinkle twinkle as we draw the curtains and then put her in her crib and turn the sound machine on. You need to get good sleep associations in place so that he knows what's coming.
What does a good wind down consist of (Includes 4S ritual)
Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!

You don't need to go straight to PU/PD. That's not a very route to take and it is more of a last resort method. A good consistent routine goes a long way towards helping your child sleep better and sleep independently.

Goodluck!

Offline Dollchan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:54:59 am »
Hey thanks again, this was great advice!!!invaluable!!!  I extended his A times and it was all going really well, his nap times had gone up and he was taking less and less time to sleep.... though the night before last he woke and wouldn't go down, something seemed different with his cry etc. I realised he had a really bad chesty cough and blocked nose. Since then when trying any pick up put down he's too distressed. I realised it may not be a good thing to carry on when he feels not so well. Which is a shame as it was a lot of hard work! I've not brought him to my bed or anything, but I was up with him from 2-5am last night. What would you suggest todo? He won't go down unless I hold him, and was was upset last night after half an hr of crying I did a slight swaying ( against all I've been working for   :-\ !!) he went off to sleep eventually whilst adding in his own mantra cry.  Is there anything I can do to avoid undoing the hard work? Should I stop all together whilst he's not well? His cry is so deep that it seems to be making his chest/throat worse. I don't want him to connect his bed something bad when he becomes well again. Also I'm trying to keep to the EASY routine as much as possible but am finding it hard when he's been up all night so he's super tired  :-[ Many thanks, Amy  :)

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:59 am »
Oh no, poor little guy. Routines kind of go out the window during illnesses as they need more sleep during this time. Watch his cues and let him rest. But yes, if you can avoid taking him to bed with you, that would be good. We don't want to confuse the little fellow too much. Things that have worked for us with colds are
Steam inhalation multiple times a day.
De-snottifying - The bulb syringe was really useless. We use Nosefrida, which is very gentle & great at completely getting out all that snot
Inclining the mattress
I put a dab of eucalyptus oil on a cloth and leave it in the room.
Tucking a cut onion in the crib. This one seemed bizarre but I was willing to try anything and I honestly think it made a difference.

It's best to just do everything & anything before bed, including medicating if necessary. They sometimes get achy heads or bodies too. He might need extra cuddles at this time, and it is good that you are there for him. Just try not to go too far in the other direction. Be there with him but try to get him down in his crib.