Author Topic: Decorating eggs question  (Read 2233 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Decorating eggs question
« on: March 14, 2015, 14:52:56 pm »
At m's pre school we have been asked to take in a decorated egg. Not done this before and wondering if anyone has done this. Do you just hard boil the egg, let it cool and then paint. ? Any tips.
Thanks

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Decorating eggs question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 14:58:42 pm »
OMG, so so soooo many options out there.

The EZ-peasy version is to boil the eggs in water that has food coloring and a little bit of vinegar to "set" the dye. My IL's did a batch every year where they put onion skins in the water as a natural brown "dye."

But once the eggs are cool, there are lots of different things you can do on them - you can buy kits for marbling, "tie-dye," adding faces/body parts (think turning them into chicks or bunnies), all kinds of stuff!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 15:00:57 pm by deb »

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 17:54:39 pm »
 We buy the kits every year, but your version sounds better!   :D   I think we will pull out the acrylic paints and stick-on gems this year maybe! Or we'll dye them and then paint them too!

We buy this brand every year...

http://www.paaseastereggs.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 19:15:19 pm »
There are lots of different ideas here
http://www.brit.co/40-easter-eggs/
I like the egg divers with the little bendy straw snorkels... well there's loads I like actually.
The decoupage, the 'sharpie' (felt pen) and the pinata eggs all look like good options for pre-school age. Goggly eyes is another winner, everyone likes an egg with a face :)
I think it really depends on what skills she is enjoying right now, if she's into painting do that but if she's into cutting with scissors the pinata egg would be a great option, or paint with glue and cover in glitter if she's likes sparkle.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 15:41:06 pm »
I think maybe putting stickers on would be fun for her. I am determined it will be her work for this not mine as this nursery is fab but it always turns into parent Olympics when they ask for this sort of thing. Thanks for the ideas, they are amazing and I love the snorkel eggs creations!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 19:01:59 pm »
DS has done two fab ones in kindergarten last year and the year before.

Last year they took egg shells and cracked just the top bit off -- not in half, a bit less than half.  Filled the empty egg shell it with soil and put some cress seeds in it.  Glued two googly eyes on and drew a mouth on with marker.  Then used the hot glue gun and glued it to a foam  base (could use thick paper) shaped like two feet.  It only took a day or two for the cress to grow and it was little hair sticking out! Soooo cute.  I have a picture on my phone so will edit this post in a minute to add it.

The other one was a blown out egg (pin hole in each end, blow the egg out.).  If brown paint egg white. If white, leave it as it is.  Glue a white feather to the top, a tiny square of orange paper folded into a triangle on becomes a beak, and again glue to some paper to make feet.  Black sharpie makes eye and it's a wee chick!  I know I still have this one but can not find a picture of it..... I will try tomorrow because I am sure the egg is in DS's bedroom and he is asleep.

Both are just so easy and simple and look sooo cute - and def look like the kids have done them but still look awesome, yk?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:14:03 am »
We hard boil the eggs then the kids colour them with markers and stick on some stickers. Easy peasy. We all go roll eggs at Easter so given they end up smashed that's as much effort as I can be bothered with! But the kids love it!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:34:49 am »
Shiv, can the eggs still be eaten?  It sounds so much fun to roll the eggs lol

I just saw this at a restaurant.  They use emptied shells just over half and then put moss inside and top with tealights!  So so nice! 

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:52:35 am »
Unfortunately not!!  The way the kids in our family roll them they end up a bit worse for wear!

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
I did some awesome eggs with my class last year. We dropped food colouring in shaving cream and marbled it. Then we rolled eggs in it. Let them sit for a bit then wipe off the shaving cream and you have a gorgeous marbled egg. I love it because its sensory and kids can do it without much help.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 16:47:34 pm by lily_layne »
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 13:12:31 pm »
I came across these on fb, Minion eggs, look fun and fantastic!

http://apumpkinandaprincess.com/2015/03/dyed-minion-easter-eggs.html