Author Topic: Some questions from a tired mummy  (Read 805 times)

Offline Mrstan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:11 am »
All advice appreciated!

We are having sleep issues with our 10wk old. I'm typing this on my phone while she sleeps on me! We re trying to rectify with help from the sleep boards!

My easy questions

1- lo takes upto 90min to settle for nap on 3hr easy, (1-1.5 hr wake time) do I leave her to nap until she wakes or wake her after say an hr?
2- sometimes taking so long to settle her means she's hungry and I have to feed her, should I then put her to nap or keeps her up for a new cycle of easy putting her down earlier?
3- do you wake from a nap at feed time? Currently I leave her upto 4hrs for a cycle but I find she only goes 3hrs at night so am trying to keep her to 3hrs in the day

Easy at present

0800 E awake and feed
0830 a
0920 s takes 30 min to settle so s doesn't really start until 0950

1100 e wake her to feed
1130 a
1220 s again as above

1400 awake and feed
1430 a
1520 s as above

1600 feeds
!630 a
1720 won't sleep keep her up in end until

1830 feed
1900 bath
1930 bed usually sleeps on hubby until

1030 feed- sleeps in our bed until 0130, 0430 then wake at 0800

Any help gratefully received, just don't want to leave her asleep as then she misses feed but equally feel she is getting OT by evening as she generally cries between 8pm adb 2am unless held.

Thanks ladies

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Some questions from a tired mummy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:35:07 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW! Is LO quite comfortable? How are you settling her? How long have you been on these A times? I ask because she seems to be having a hard time with this and I just wonder if some adjustments need to be made. That said, when beginning with shh/pat settling can take a while 
1. IN the interest of LO getting some more restorative day sleep, I would let her go up to the 3.5 mark. Are you working on independent sleep yet, if you are, I would bear in mind that these tiny LOs can get OT so easily and sometimes starting out slow and allowing some AP in to the day to keep LO better rested can help everything. Lots of Mamas do one shh/pat crib nap and then AP the rest.
2. I would feed and then go straight to wind-down and lay her down.
3. Does she want to be fed right away? How does she act upon waking? If she is ravenous upon waking, then I would surely take that as my cue and not let her go beyond that point, otherwise, I say let them sleep!

Can you get another CN in there after that 1600 feed and the 3.5 hour A to bed? Maybe stroller, carrier, swing anything that can make that A to bed less and take some of that OT out?
Keep us posted!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Mrstan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »
Hi and thanks so much for replying with such constructive advice.

Yes don't think she is windy or reflux or anything. I had her on 45min then moved to 1hr. I watch for yawns and put her down but sometimes i think it's too early. She never goes to sleep on her own. Always fed or rocked. 

1- independent sleep is not happening! We were managing with swaddling but she now won't go down even swaddled. We had started co sleeping prior to this which is not what I want at all but we tick most prop boxes!
2- will try that
3- she wakes crying usually and needs feeding immediately or she screama!! I feel like I need to feed regularly but then she doesn't get enough sleep.

Am trying the catnap. Sling is helping.

Sorry if bit short she is asleep on me! Typing 1 fingered!

Thanks again for advice!

Incidentally I did the quiz and she came out spirited/touchy! Slightly more spirited. Think this may be why we struggle with sleep.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Some questions from a tired mummy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 15:02:37 pm »
 Hi there, sorry for the delay in response! :(

1. It may be time to start with some shh/pat for that first nap if you feel up to it. Have a look here.Shush-pat - How to
3. Well, if she is ravenous, I would certainly go and feed right away.
Most LOs at this age are closer to a 1hour and 20 minutes, so maybe you would want to gradually ( say 15 minutes every 3 days) move closer to that time. These LOs at this age are starting to wake up and sleepy cues become a bit unreliable.

How are things going now?

Maryn

[/url]