Author Topic: How do I start?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Lilac14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 23, 2015, 13:38:01 pm »
My 13 week old daughter has had awful colic where she spent her evenings screaming. This resulted in awful AP. She has to be in her sling to fall asleep and has a dummy too. Once I spend over an hour walking around the house she falls asleep and then I keep her in the sling to get her over the 45 minute wake up so at night it takes well over 2 hours to get her in her cot. Same for naps which are always 45 mins or less.

She is starting to come out of the colic I think as the evening  crying is much much less so I'm thinking I need to start implementing the BW techniques to help get out of these bad habits and help her chronic over tiredness. I have a couple if questions

-do I start EASY and start sh/pat all in the same day. I have been trying to have a loose routine but nothing consistent.

- do I have to stay in for the week im going to do this? I feel like the EASY routine will mean I will be trapped in the house and getting out has been the only thing that has kept me sane.

- with sh/pat how do I know when to pick up or just do it in the cot.  im very scared about starting this as the thought of hours of crying is already killing me.

I have read both books and the sleep interview but I don't really get it hence the questions! Thanks in advance.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: How do I start?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:13 pm »
Hi there! Welcome to BW!
First priority, YOUR sanity! I know how draining and emotionally exhausting ALL that screaming can be, sometimes it is best to start things slowly. Is LO quite comfortable now? All the sleep training in the world won't help if LO is uncomfortable. If I were you, I would do shh/pat for one nap of the day, in the crib, see how that goes and do what you need to do the rest of the day. You are in the prime time for lousy short naps, they will lengthen out again in time. Have a look here and see what you think: Sleep Training  - the early days
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Maryn

[/url]