Author Topic: Started Easy Different morning wake up times  (Read 982 times)

Offline razzberry

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Motherhood makes me complete
Started Easy Different morning wake up times
« on: February 27, 2015, 07:34:19 am »
Hello

My lo turned 4 months. I started easy on Wednesday. Today she woke up at 6:40 am. When she wakes up before 7 am, am I supposed to do PU/PD until 7am in order to get her awake at more or less the same time?

I'm guessing that if she's off by 10 or 15 minutes to just feed her. Ie.  If she wakes up at 6:50. Or wakes a little earlier from a nap.

Please assist because I'm not sure how to proceed today with pu/pd

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Started Easy Different morning wake up times
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:42:17 am »
Ohhh Honey they never wake at the same time. So at that age I would follow A times. So if she normally stays awake for 2h (average for a 4mo) and you get her up at 6:40 I would put her down after 2h. What I did with my DS that age when he woke before 7am was letting him chat to himself in his bed and count his A time from the moment I took him up. It was usually closer to 7am.
~Marta

Offline razzberry

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 15:01:19 pm »
Thank you for replying. I thought as much. Like the book says we can't fit baby into a clock

But maybe I need to explain what I'm unsure of.

Example. Tracy explains when you implementing easy and switching from 3 to 4 hr routine, you should wake your baby up at next feed even if baby has only been sleeping for 10 min after doing pupd.

Where the confusion comes in is when your baby wakes up at a different time other than 7am. Example 6:30. So now my baby goes to sleep at 8am instead of 8:30 (hr easy schedule). She wakes up at 8:50 from her nap. So am I supposed to do pupd until 9:30 which is her next feed, or should it be 10am (the next feed according to 3hr easyschedule)

Tracy emphasises importance of routine and extending nap times, is it because we trying to get baby used to sleeping at more or less the same time each day.  Or because it's about teaching baby to go every 4hrs between feeds and getting their body used to napping for 2hrs irrespective of the actual time of day.

I'm asking because I would love to sleep later when my baby does too. But if it's key to get baby used to waking up at the same time and napping at the same time more or less then I'll have to wake her.

Please confirm?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 17:54:48 pm by razzberry »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 17:51:12 pm »
It's mainly about feeding Honey. You want to squeeze as many feeds as possible in her daily (12h) routine so she doesn't wake at night. With 7am WU you will manage to have 4 feeds until 7pm. If she has her first feed at 8:30am and last around 7pm she will probably take less milk overall as they are closer together.
I generally am not a fun of PUPD in the morning or to lengthen naps as for some kiddos it doesn't work and generally go undertired naps/nights it can be the never ending battle. It's however a great tool to teach them how to settle especially if you start from some prop issue. But please remember that PUPD for a 4mo is much more about shhh/pat as that's the thing works best for them.
~Marta

Offline razzberry

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 18:29:21 pm »
Thank you.
She used my breast before as a prop, and drank every 2 hrs because she wouldn't sleep without it. And would wake up once or twice at night.

Since I started sleep training I feel she is drinking less. Because she thinks she'll be getting more later. But she's not because I'm stretching time in between feeds. And it's difficult to know how much baby is getting with breastfeeding. She also has mild reflux so she doesn't drink a lot at a time.