Author Topic: 4.5 MO recently started 4-Hour EASY - Wakes frequently at night  (Read 1124 times)

Offline asmcintyre

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4.5 MO recently started 4-Hour EASY - Wakes frequently at night
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:50:24 am »
In need of some advice. We have had a lot of changes in the past month and as a result my LO has been having a rough time with sleep. We started EASY at 4 months - went from no schedule, eating every two hours to a 4-hour EASY in a matter of two weeks, and also I have stopped bf and am now bottle feeding. DS is waking 5-6 times during the night, only needing a pacifier to get him back to sleep. He was averaging 10 hours through the night and about 10 days ago he started waking irregularly during the night, waking early, will nap soundly for 2 hours or is up every 30-45 minutes for pacifier, and most recently he refuses a catnap. LO eats 7.5-8.5 oz per feed and stops himself when he is done. Should I start cluster feeding, and if so, do I need to decrease the ounces in the earlier feeds and make his dream feed the largest amount of ounces? Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions. Our EASY is currently like this

E - 7:30am
A - 7:45am
S - 9:30am (sometimes is only for 45 minutes and won't go back to sleep)
E - 11:30am
A - 11:45am
S - 1:30pm
E - 3:30pm
A - 3:45pm
S - 5-6pm (Recently I've spent this whole time doing pu/pd)
A - 6:30pm Bath
E/A - 7pm bedtime routine
S - 7:15-7:30pm
E - 10pm Dream Feed

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 4.5 MO recently started 4-Hour EASY - Wakes frequently at night
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 19:37:16 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply yet! :-[

I don't think it looks like this is a feeding issue, if he's taking that many oz per bottle. My guess is that it's more of a routine issue (maybe a bit of an UT/OT combination) or a prop issue (paci).

If he's soemtimes taking a short morning nap and you're also having a hard time getting him to CN, it sounds like he's ready for a bit more A time. I'd start gradually adding 5/10/15min onto the A times and see if that doesn't help. The CN at this point will probably only be 30-45min long and the day may stretch out to longer than 12hr for a bit (12.5, maybe 13), until you make the push to only two naps. Have a read through this link, I think you may be in the very early stages of the 3-2... All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

Offline asmcintyre

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4.5 MO recently started 4-Hour EASY - Wakes frequently at night
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 19:07:42 pm »
Thank you katie80.

Since my original post, we have tried multiple things to get him to sleep longer through the night. He still wakes up through the night but we no longer rush in to give him his paci, and we had him cluster for a couple of days to make sure that wasn't the issue. We have also taken the paci away so that we don't need to keep running in to give it back to him.

Now he doesn't want to nap during the day. He will lay in his bed and whine while he rubs his eyes. I don't normally give in to rocking him, but one day he was exhausted and the only way I could get him to sleep is by rocking him, and even then he didn't sleep longer then 30 minutes. I'll post on the naps board and see if anyone has any ideas. Thank you for your advice.