Author Topic: 19 Months EW before 5am  (Read 2519 times)

Offline LizPNI

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:25 am »
MY son has always been on the low sleep needs side and woken early.  8pm-6:30am is the longest we've every gotten. Now he is walking between 4am and 5am. Sometimes he is asking for milk and then he goes back to sleep and sometimes he drinks milk and doesnt' go back to sleep, other times he just keeps trying to go back to sleep and then get's frustrated and wants out of his crib. I can see as we are out of bed and doing low energy activities around 5 he is still sleepy.  He gets a good nap in the afternoon starting at 1pm and i'ts any where from 2-3 hours. I've tried shortening it, but it doesn't make a difference. I have also tried moving his bedtime up but he just rolls around in his crib and still doesn't fall asleep till after 8.

Not sure what to do now, but starting my day at 4am is not ok.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
Re: 19 Months EW before 5am
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 18:24:39 pm »
It is likely that the long daytime nap is taking from his night sleep, when you've tried shortening the nap to say 2hours max have you kept it like that for more than a week to see whether that makes a difference?

How long has he been on one nap?
~ Naomi ~

Offline LizPNI

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 19:40:08 pm »
He has been on one nap since 13 months. I will try shortening the nap. He keeps asking for milk now when he wakes up, which he never did before.  Usually he doesn have milk till 6:30 or so. Now he is asking for I at 5am. He really still seems tired when he wakes up but can't go back to sleep.

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 20:27:44 pm »
The awake time to nap seems v long could it be earlier too?

Following as my 18m old has similar issues but a different routine.

He wakes around 5 but struggles to make it to 11.30am for a nap. naps have gone all short too. Bed around 6.50. He's v keen for milk on waking too and I wonder about hunger not sure what to do as I won't go back to night feeds!!

My dd at this age woke between 5.30-6.30 and napped 12-2.30 bed at 7.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 22:15:54 pm »
Let us know how you get on liz with the nap capping.

Kookyk, you mention that the nap at 1pm seems late - I don't think that this should be any earlier in Liz's LOs case as he is already waking early. Would you like to start your own post so we can help you separately. It can often help to keep advice separate to make sure everyone gets the help they need :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 23:47:39 pm by Buttonbobs »
~ Naomi ~

Offline LizPNI

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:02:42 am »
He went down at 12:45 and I woke him at 2:45. I have never seen him so mad. Usually when he gets upset about something or starts to tantrum I can redirect him. It took  me a long time to get him to calm down. He kept pointing back to his crib. I felt so bad for waking him up. I hope it pays off. He is definitely OT from the EW. His cousin was pushing him around in his stroller at 10 this morning and he fell asleep, I had to wake him up then too.

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:31:30 am »
It can take a few days to get used to naps being capped. Keep going if you can for at least a few days and see how he gets on. You may need to cut the nap further but it is best to try it over a period of time than doing a massive cut in one go.

Yes he may well be OT. When nights get particularly short he will be OT no matter how long a nap he takes, so it does sound to me like he needs shorter naps and longer nights if possible, even if overall you get the same sleep total in 24 hours.
~ Naomi ~

Offline LizPNI

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:11:10 am »
He had a NW at 3am and kept pointing my room and crying. I think he has some teeth coming. When he has teeth coming he always asks to sleep in my bed. he slept til 5am. I woke up to him baaaaing like a sheep. I asked him what he wanted but he just kept baaing. Then I asked him if he was a sheep and he said yes. At least he is funny at 5am.

I asked the babysitter to cap his nap. She said she woke him up after 1.5 hours. He actually went down a little easier tonight because he was so tired. Sometimes it can take him a while to settle. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Hopefully my little sheep stays in his bed.

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 20:47:45 pm »
I wasn't asking for specific advice only saying I empathised and how, and following this thread, Buttonbob. I did think anyone could offer their idea and perspective on threads - is this not correct? I've never encountered this on here before

God luck with things, Liz x
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 21:52:03 pm »
KookyK we do encourage all of our members to offer support and BW advice!  However, folks will sometimes start "following" a thread to ask their own questions and in that case we ask our moderators to encourage new threads so everyone doesn't get confused.  Naomi read your thread as such and was trying to be helpful.  :)

Offline LizPNI

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:00 am »
So this morning he slept to 5am again. I guess that's better than waking up before 5 but still early. He is having a 1.5 hour nap now starting at one. Now he is really tired before his usual 8pm bedtime. Tonight he was asleep by 7:45 and that was pushing it. Should I make his bed time earlier? The reason we have it at 8 is becuase my husband and I both work. We get home around 5:30, so 8pm bedtime allows us to spend some time with our son.

Thanks everyone for the advice and support

Kookyk, some days he actually does nap earlier so he can go to his play group in the afternoon. It doesn't seem to affect him either way,. Nap at 12 or 1 still gives me an early wake up. But now that he is taking shorter nap he can nap at 1 and still wake in time for his playgroup.

Offline LizPNI

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:59:35 am »
Also to add I got a NW at around 11 last night. Could that be do to OT. I mentioned in another post I thought he was teething,but he doesn't have runny nose or mild fever that he usually gets.

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 20:37:30 pm »
I guess it's an idea to give it a few days now to see if it all settles down.

If it doesn't settle down I was wondering when I posted before if he Napped a little earlier but longer than 1.5 hours? Maybe he'd get to 8 better but the nap would be in the middle of his waking hours but perhaps less OT?

My daughter (and most others of same age I know) tend to WU 6-7am and nap around 12-2.30 for 2 hours then bt around 7 if that gives any inspiration?

I tried an extra bedtime snack yday to rule out hunger but still got 4.55 WU. Marginally better than day before but not much.
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline LizPNI

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 03:03:19 am »
He was up at 4:55 this morning. He didn't ask for milk til almost 6am. He asked to watch his Raffi in concert dvd. So, that the other thing. He has never watched any tv before, but we started putting on this Raffi dvd when he was waking up at 4am because we were both too exhausted to do much with him. That way who ever got up with him at 4am could kind of doze while he sat watched his dvd. Do you think now he is waking up just to watch the dvd?

so yesterday he was up at 5am nap from 1-2:30 and then asleep by 7:45 and still up this morning at 5am...

Offline Buttonbobs

• E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 06:49:53 am »
It could be that he is stirring a little bit and then thinking "I could watch my dvd if I wake up". Hard as it will be I do think you will get success if you don't let him do anything other than "night time things", so treat that 5am WU as a night waking. Keeping him in bed and doing whatever you would do to sleep train him into staying fete until morning that you would normally do if he woke at say 1/2am.

This will be hard to begin with so you might need to start off by agreeing that morning is actually 5.30 ish, keeping it early to make it achievable. So you do the NW treatment until 5.30 and then leave him, come back in and say "it's morning". And then get up and start the day. I would suggest no DVD at that point too, to help him understand waking up doesn't mean TV.

I would stick with what you're doing re naps, I do think there would be merit in bringing BT earlier. I do understand wanting to have some time with him when you get in from work, but this may well be keeping him up beyond his sleep window and he may be OT when he goes to sleep, this would make EWs more likely.

Another idea - have you ever tried wake 2 sleep (W2S).
How do I address habitual wakings?  (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

I would keep consistent on this plan for another week though - it can take a while for an LO to adjust and changing too much too soon will make it hard to see what might make a difference.

((Hugs))
~ Naomi ~