Author Topic: 10 month old is a disaster... and I am getting tired. Please help  (Read 18455 times)

Offline Hester

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
Hi all, it's been a loooooooong time since I've been on here! I am posting a question for my sister, she might peek in as well, but her English in not such that she wants to type up the original post. So here goes;

DS is 10 months old. A happy little BIG boy.

He has never slept well, there are the odd nights and naps that he did well, but not amazing. But hey, he's the third, so you wing it and wait it out. But now he is 10 months and HEAVY and it's getting out of control.

8am he wakes, BF, then a cracker or something like it.
10am nap ~ sometimes he sleeps, sometimes he doesn't. If he does then he complains twice or so and then falls asleep. If not then he screams. My sister takes him out, he falls asleep in her arms -> back in bed. (This doesn't always work)
12pm wake, BF, fruit or something like it
1.30 or 2 pm Sleep, which he usually doesn't do
4pm BF
5.30pm Dinner
6.30/7 pm pj on, sleeping bag on, BF to sleep and put away sleeping.

Right now he just had an ear infection. Before the earinfection I would BF him till tired, read a book, sing a song, put him to bed. Usually he would go to sleep without complaining, but since the ear infection that doesn't work

Lately he wakes at 9pm. I try to nurse him to sleep, but that usually doesn't work. If it doesn't work, my husband will sit with him downstairs in the dark, he will then fall asleep after 2.5 hours or so... (so fun sitting in the dark together, we decided to not let him interfere anymore with our nights, since we didn't have any time together anymore. Not right, but sitting upstairs with him for hours with one of us was ruining our relationship. When he falls asleep, we put him away to bed sleeping.

Then he wakes around 1 or 2am. BF. Sometimes I can put him in bed again, sometimes I can't, he'll scream, my husband sits with him till he sleeps. Usually 30 minutes. He won't sleep in his bed then, we take him downstairs and he sleeps in his pram. (which is like a bed)

Then I BF at 6, back to sleep, usually no problem. Because he's already downstairs in his pram, he will sleep.

It looks like he hates his bed. His pram works most of the time, but he is outgrowing it.

Advise???

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
Re: 10 month old is a disaster... and I am getting tired. Please help
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 21:32:49 pm »
Hi Hester! Lovely to see you!

The first thing I notice is that if he's waking at 8, a nap at 10 seems a bit early, he should be able to go 3-3.5hrs at this point. Same with the afternoon nap, if he's waking at 12, putting him down at 1:30 or 2 will be too soon for him. And so it looks like he has a really long evening so he's probably overtired by bedtime. So first of all I'd push out those A times, Does that make sense?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Hester

• Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 23:33:00 pm »
It does, and I suggested that, but she said that if they miss his window there is NO way he will go to sleep. She has to watch him like a hawm to make sure she doesn't miss his first tired signs, if she misses it, he'll play happily, but then when it's bedtime won't go. So, I suggested to push it slooooowly, by 10, even 5 minute increments. Any other tips? What would an EASY look like then?

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:14:19 am »
There are some examples here chronological EASY samples, 10-12 months with differing as times.
Could she keep it very low key when she extends his a time, lots of cuddles, calm stuff. I find it very hard to push a times too especially when they're shwoign tired signs but his A times do seem very low, except for that last one.
Is his bed very different from his pram, is there an obvious reason why he'd prefer it, or the room...?

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline Hester

• Welcome to fall ;)
    • My Usana site
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:41 am »
I was wondering if he prefers it because it's more cocooned. IYKWIM. What are safe ways to make his crib more closed in?

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 18:32:21 pm »
Does he have bumpers? I think it's not advised for smaller babies but probably ok now...? We use them...

Angel, April 2011

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 19:55:00 pm »
They could roll up a sheet and then place it under the cot sheet in a 'U' shape to make like a little nest for him to sleep in.  Does he have covers tucked over in the pram?  That might help in bed to add to the feeling of security.  When they put him in the pram do they rock it or literally just treat it like a bed?

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 20:14:34 pm »
Does he have any independent sleep skills?  That likely plays a big part in sleep at this age.

Offline Sis-Marianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:16 am »
Hi!

Thanks so far! I'll try to reply to the questions in English.
Yes, his pram is totally diffrent. It's smaller, actually to small by now but since he's is somewhat and kind of sleeping in the pram, I still shove him in there :)
No bumpers in his crib yet, working on it. Since he is sleeping in his -to small- pram but not in his crib so the bumpers make sense. Also looking for a woolen topcoat, they say this gives a lot of comfort. Like a nest.
We have tried de U shape but he climbs on/over it. AND he can stand up in his bed since yesterday, ugh... not helping!
He does have independent sleeping skills, if I do NOT (I repeat: do NOT :P) mis his window that is...

Offline katie80

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 00:01:32 am »
Hello! :)

So, if he's been sleeping in his pram for awhile and you nurse him every time he wakes at night and you have to get his window *just right* for him to go to sleep in the crib, my guess is that he needs to re-learn how to get to sleep on his own (especially now that he's pulling up to standing). If you get the things to set up his crib how you want, do you have a chance to work with him on independent sleep? What is his routine looking like now?

Offline Sis-Marianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:38:09 am »
My sister wrote his routine in her first post.
At night I don't have to pay attention to his window, that is just during daytime. By pushing his A time he can be awake for 3 hours now so that is working.
At night I BF him and he drinks himself to sleep again but when I put in down he starts screeming....
So he definetly needs to re-learn how to get to sleep on his own. But how?

Offline Sis-Marianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 08:52:56 am »
Now he wakes at 5.45am. Yesterday he went to bed at 9am and I had to wake him up at 11.45am to pick up his sister from school... But since he goes to bed at 7-7.30pm and he isn't sleeping the full 12 hours he should be tired, right?
He looks somewhat confused sleep-wise :)

Maybe I should wake him up after lets say... 2 hours? What is 'normal' at 10m nap-wise?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:55:42 am by Sis-Marianne »

Offline kayra

• 2 for 1!!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 10:50:27 am »
2 hours would be luxury here :)
If he naps too long that will steal from his night sleep, looks like he sees that 9 am nap as the rest of his night sleep...

Angel, April 2011

Offline Sis-Marianne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 15:23:05 pm »
this morning he was awake at 5.45am, put him in bed at 8.30am. Woke him up at 10.30am, put him in bed at 1.45pm and woke him up at 3.45pm. Bedtime tonight is around 7pm-7.30pm. I can't wait to sleep aaaaaaaaaal night! ;)

Offline katie80

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 16:22:19 pm »
Hon, I think Kayra is spot on and that's too much daytime sleep for him and that's why he's waking so early (robbing from his night sleep). 2x2hr naps is more of a routine for a 6/7mo old, not 10mo. Even for a high sleep needs kid, I would think 2x1.5hr nap or more likely 1x1.5 and 1x1hr would be more appropriate.

Have a read through these links and let us know your thoughts...
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
chronological EASY samples, 10-12 months