Author Topic: 7 month old EMW  (Read 1269 times)

Offline hayley66

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 01, 2015, 15:04:21 pm »
Hi

We are still suffering from 6am wakes with a 7 month old. Is there anything u would tweak to encourage later wake up? We've dropped cat nap now as he has quite long awake times.
Yesterday
Wake 5.55
Milk 6.45
Solids 8.00
Nap 9.15 - 10.30
Solids 11.30 and milk 12.00
Nap 2-3.20
3.30 milk
Tea 5.30
Milk and in Bed at 7.00pm

I've read u should try shorten the first nap to encourage a longer second...any agreement or ideas? I'm worried if shortern first one he'll still only do 1hr20 on second nap and will get O/t. We've only recently cut out cat nap and was hoping this would help. I know 6 is acceptable but I'm struggling as my older sleeps till 730am!

Thanks

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 7 month old EMW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:53:33 am »
To be honest that's a great routine.  I'm not sure where you are in the world but perhaps you can take advantage of DST (it's coming up here) and move your whole routine to 8pm-7am?  An 11h night isn't early waking unfortunately and it may be that's all your LO needs with two good naps in the day.  I'd be tempted not to rock the boat too much - I tried in a similar situation trying to get longer than an 11h night and ended up with OT ::)

Since your A times are now over 3h a 13h day is pretty common/normal.  You need to decide going forwards which nap you want to keep long, and which you will shorten.  Your first nap still looks a touch UT to me, so you could lengthen the A there to try to get 1.5-2h, and then make your second nap a catnap.  Or you could keep offering that nap at the same time, but gradually shorten it and see if you can get a full second nap. 

What do you think?

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 7month old EMW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 06:29:38 am »
How recently did you get rid of the CN? Can you give an example of what his EASY looked like before?

I don't think I'd start cutting one nap, since you've just got to two. Rather, I would try to push that first one out to 9:30 and see if that helps. Both your naps are sitting around 1h15-20min, which is generally considered UT, but it could be full for him.

Offline hayley66

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:17 am »
Hi, it was
Wake 550/6
Nap 9ish, 45 mins
Nap 1.15 1hr 20
Force a nap in the car on way home from places at around 445 but past few days I've been driving round for 20 mins and it's getting to 5pm

Only lost cat nap for 4 days. Maybe I should push second nap later by 15 mins as that's supposed
To be the main nap isn't it or does that not matter?
I'm desp to push his wake up later and am thinking maybe if I can get longer naps I can get a later bed time as  starting to think 11 hours is all he needs. What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:13:27 am by hayley66 »

Offline hayley66

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:16:33 am »
Is it better to avoid o/t to make the second nap longer or does it not matter?

I would rather have a long first one in the cot so I can get out in the afternoon but worried an hour or something in the afternoon could cause problems. When do I start cutting naps back?

Do u think if I can get longer naps I try for a slightly later bedtime to see if can shift it a bit as I'm desp to get that 6am later :-(

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 7 month old EMW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 20:41:34 pm »
Ok, so I don't know that you can expect much change with the loss of the CN as he's not really getting any less daytime sleep, it's just more consolidated, iyswim.

If you'd rather have the long morning nap, then I'd start pushing the first A time longer as previously mentioned until it lengthens to 1.5-2hr. Then, you can decide how you want to proceed with the second nap. It doesn't need to be cut at this point, but is good to keep in mind sleep totals, as if there's too much day sleep the morning wake-up won't get later even with a later BT.

Katherine made a great point about DST as well. Are you in the northern hemisphere?

Offline hayley66

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 14:12:28 pm »
I'm Uk and I haven't thought about that. Normally my first just reverted to the old time strangely enough but I'm hoping that would help...