Author Topic: 17 week old 3 or 4 hour easy??  (Read 2529 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 17 week old 3 or 4 hour easy??
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 14:32:00 pm »
It strikes me that an hour is a long feed at 17 weeks....has her latch been checked? What about tongue tie?  Just for comparison a whole feed for both of mine would have been done in 5-10 mins tops at that age....BFing ladies any thoughts?

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 14:51:04 pm »
Yes I was thinking that.would be worth speaking to a lactation consultant if you can.  In the meantime it would be worth trying breast compressions when feeding to encourage flow and get LO busier, that might help reduce the time. sorry can't link but google Jack Newman breast compression and you'll get a video to see how it's done.

Glad to hear you don't feel you need to top up every feed :) lots of mothers successfully mixed feed but it's important to get the balance right so you protect your supply.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 17 week old 3 or 4 hour easy??
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 23:47:17 pm »
I agree that an hour is a very long feed by this age. I'd definitely check for tongue tie and latch issues.

Do you feed her from both breasts at each feed? If so you may wish to delay the second side until after a burp and nappy change for example. I found my DSs took more that way. And milk is fattier 30 mins after a feed so that might help with the fat content you are worried about. Btw I do not have supply or growth issues but when I pump a bottle there is only a thin (3mm?) layer on milk that settles on top.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011