Author Topic: Solids and not a lot of milk intake  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 03, 2015, 04:10:57 am »
Hi all,
LO is 7 months old and is losing interest in the bottle.. She still gets her dream feed at 9:30 and her bedtime bottle at 7pm. But during the day she seems uninterested. I've resorted to giving her a scoop of formula in her solids and giving her a 2 ounces of water in her soppy cup because she loves water so much. Any suggestions on what I should do  or how to get her back on track? I'm worried she is not getting enough formula throughout the day. Some say take into consideration the overall ounces she consumes not just formula.  On overage she takes about 600-700ml a day plus her solids. Any suggestions?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Solids and not a lot of milk intake
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:44:48 am »
I would cut solids way back.  She does not need solids at this age and it's not uncommon for baby to "hold out" for solids at this age either.  That said, solids at this age are not for nutrition, they are for exploring taste and texture.  Nutrition needs to come from her formula until closer to a year of age.  You want her to remain at 24 ozs a day of formula.. solids are in addition to that.  If she drops her formula intake, cut solids.

In this case, I would take a week off of solids to get her back on track.  Then slowly add back solids an hour after that first bottle of the day.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 19:11:01 pm »
It does depend where you are as to what the minimum milk intake guidance is. In the UK from 6 months the minimum is 1 pint or 500ml or 18 oz, all rough guides (as a pint is not exactly the same as 500ml). The bottle feeding FAQ reflects this.  Which would make the amount of milk she's taking fine, plus you also add any milk/dairy solids, plus any formula you are adding to solids.  It all counts. So if she takes an oz or so of cheese this counts as an oz towards her 'milk' intake too.
I found with mine the more dairy solids he took the less formula he took, so if I cut the milk products in his solid food he took more from a bottle. However if I cut any other solids he did not increase his milk at all, not a jot, he just got very very cranky.
It's also fine to have water with her solids meals.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:47:58 am »
I think it is worth mentioning that the nutrition of an ounce of cheese/yogurt is not comparable to an ounce of formula. 

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 13:55:20 pm »
Turns out... She wasn't untreated because she was getting sick and ended up with the rota virus.... 2 weeks of diarrhea and vomit and we are finally back to ourselves again!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 14:54:53 pm »
Glad to hear all is well now :)  Sorry your LO was so poorly though :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:18:05 am »
Oh yuck... roto is a rough one!  Glad she has come right again!