Author Topic: 14 weeks increasing wakings  (Read 5018 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
14 weeks increasing wakings
« on: March 07, 2015, 07:43:08 am »
I'm loath to do this but I'm tired!!

Thomas is becoming more and more of a pest at night. It might be just the reflux, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

He's 14 weeks (10 adjusted), but equally he does behave more like a 14 week old baby than a 10 week old eg he's very alert, has discovered his (still flailing) hands, and his A time is approaching 2 hrs (less towards the end of the day).

A few weeks ago he started to sleep until 1-2am, and then feed again at 5ish, the wake at 7am. This last week or so has been horrid. He is waking at 10/11pm for another feed then basically wakes 2 hrs later. He won't take the dummy and will only resettle on my chest upright. He then sleeps until a more sensible time for a feed. Once fed he will do another 2 hrs in the cot and then repeat.

So basically I'm dozing with a baby in my arms for half the night.

He has to be held upright after a feed so ends up falling asleep on me every time. He needs the full 20-30mins else he doesn't transfer (starts regurgitating).

Thing is - I know it sounds really refluxy - but he had reflux when he was sleeping better as well yk?! He went on meds at about 6 weeks.

He is swaddled in a zip up pod thing. It's getting smaller, so I guess more restrictive, and I wonder if this is a baby swaddle fighting  ???? He does wake a lot in a sleep bag as well though, but I know they can for a while when you transition them. He never liked being swaddled properly, hence the pod with his arms held up. He is grunting and straining a lot.... He did this from birth but was seeming to quiet down a lot.... But is pretty noisy again now.

Is it a prop issue?? A co-sleep thing?

He is not really an IS due to the reflux. He has a dummy but rarely accepts it for sleep  ::). He is FF and feeding basically every 3 hrs. I'm having problems getting him to take more than 4oz per feed.

Thanks. I think I can see the 'answers' and it is hard to fix any of it  ??? ???. But grateful for others thoughts. Even if you have no reflux knowledge just say what stands out at you about the other issues to help clarify my mind  ;) :-* :-*.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:36:58 pm »
Hi Liz!

My general thoughts... hope it will help:
1. At 15/16wo we were approaching 4mo growth spurt and sleep regression so can it be that?
2.  Can he need more A time during day? Can you post your routine? At that age F's sleep needs rapidly went down and from around 4.5h at 10wo he went to 3h at 16wo...
~Marta

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
Re: 14 weeks increasing wakings
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
Option 2 could be valid - he has bust his am nap 2 days running on his usual A time  ::).

Yesterday was (roughly - I don't write anything down!)
Awake 7am
Nap 1 9-930am  ::)
Nap 2 11-12 - was pretty hard to extend and was restless so I gave up as we needed to pop out anway
Nap 3 2.15-4.15
Nap 4 5.30 for 20 mins
Bedtime 7pm

NWings were 10.30pm (4oz), 1am (resettled on me), 3am (5oz) took until 4.15am to get back down, 6am (resettled on me until 7am)

This morning he napped from 9-9.30 again (def no chance of a resettle!)
Went back to sleep at 11am and still asleep now going on 2 hrs.....

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 12:45:17 pm »
Option 1 equally valid - I guess I wasn't expecting it so soon due to him being prem - but they do gain ground don't they??

I could live with the day I posted above if he hadn't been asleep on me from 1-3, and again from 6-7. I basically slept from 11-1, then 4.15-6. That is pretty rubbish!!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 13:14:08 pm »
My first thought was also perhaps needing more A time in the day. We had similar increases in NWs with H and I eventually realised/discovered that an increase in A time during the day helped reduce the number of NWs
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 13:16:30 pm »
I agree too.  In fact I don't think we've ever caught up since four months!!  Actively dropping the 4th nap did help us somewhat x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 13:29:26 pm »
The thing which makes me think about A times, Liz, is the fact that your older ones are LSN? Weren't you on 2 naps with Megan at 4mo:)?
~Marta

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 14:24:16 pm »
Hi hun, I don't know much about reflux and am not the best tweaker of A times, but since you mentioned the swaddle I just wanted to say that ditching it helped here. Annabel wasn't NW as much as Thomas but in addition to a NF she was waking up earlier in the night when I knew she didn't need to eat, and was quite hard to resettle.  She was definitely starting to get annoyed with the swaddle.  Since she's been out of it she's still woken a few times around midnight but she always resettles herself at that time, and I think it must be the freedom to fidget around and get comfy again.

We are also on 3 naps not 4, although Annabel is a few weeks older.  She is at around 1hr45/2hrs though, so similar to T.  If she throws in a short nap and the day gets off track I do EBT rather than try to fit in a 4th nap.
Emma

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 16:00:17 pm »
Oh yes, both my kids were LSN  ::).

And yes Marti - Megan used to do a shorter am and BIG pm nap from 4 mths. She would refuse the pm CN even with AP.

He just bust his pm nap at 40mins though  ::).

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 16:54:37 pm »
Push A...:)?
~Marta

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 19:31:00 pm »
Hey sweets,
Both my boys responded well to EBT when naps went to the dogs. They also kept better overnight with it. Do you tink it's an option or just too hard with the others etc.
you could drop the 4th nap (unless you hit 20 min naps all day) push the a As a touch and offer bt earlier for 3-5 days and see if it helps.

Also think you may be able to ditch the swaddle. We had a night from hell when we did it, then T was fine. ::)

Truth is 4mths (ish) is seriously the worst time for sleep. So at least you know things can only improve Hun x
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 20:33:32 pm »
We have some similar stuff happening around here. Do you think some wonder week silliness might be playing a part too?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 21:23:39 pm »
Will see what happens with an increased A. It will likely result in a short nap due to hunger as he doesn't take enough for consistent 4 hrly feedings yet (reflux issue  >:(), but that is OK as long as I can get a decent lunchtime nap and a decent longish CN ie 45mins/1hr.

I have to do ALL the school runs and after school stuff next week anyway, and I suspect Thomas will fall asleep en route and do an early am CN anyway.

I can do 6/6.30pm bedtimes as long as DH is home to put Megan to bed. Otherwise it's easiest to do Megan first at 6.45pm, then feed and settle Thomas, then pitch Jacob in to finish off  ;). Megan has to go before 7 else she is a pest, and Jacob can self entertain easily (..... Well..... He can get bored and wander off and end up playing FIFA on the PS  ::) ::) ::)).

I put him in a sleep sack tonight and he struggled to settle. He was really trying to suck his hands but then rejecting the dummy  ::). Eventually I cuddled to sleep and he stayed down.

Emma - how much hand/arm control does Annabel have? Thomas sits fiddling with his fingers all the time, and grabs at toys on the play gym, but otherwise is mainly batting around rather than proper grabbing yet iyswim? He's just starting to mouth anything he gets to his mouth. I just wonder if he has enough control yet iyswim?

Anyway.... Lots of issues to solve I think  ;).

Irritatingly Dh went to put the blinds up in his newly decorated room, and they don't fit  >:(. So another delay in having a proper sleep space for him. I was waiting for his own room to do some work with IS for naps. I guess I will have to do it in my room instead in the co-sleeper. You can zip the side and make it a bit more contained anyway.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 07:01:47 am »
Liz what about giving T a lovey for those fiddly hands. It's a good time to introduce? My T has muslin cloths and Z has a taggy
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 09:44:26 am »
Annabel's arm control is pretty good these days as in she's capable of not whacking herself in the face :) She has her hands in her mouth a lot and can reach out and touch things. Grabbing-wise she does manage to hold on to things but I still get the feeling that's fluke some of the time.  She's getting there but not totally coordinated yet
Emma