Author Topic: 14 weeks increasing wakings  (Read 5021 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 14 weeks increasing wakings
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 11:44:07 am »
Aw, I hope he is feeling better after a rest

Only 9 days until your Paed appt - I am sure he will help. Thomas has had a tough time for while now they should be willing to take the next step.

Offline Emami

• Showing Appreciation 41
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 15:29:40 pm »
You reflux mums are heroes. It's hard enough dealing with healthy babies and all the normal stuff without them being in pain and all the eating and sleeping problems it causes. I wish I could help, but I just have a whole heap of hugs for you Liz.
Emma

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 18:25:51 pm »
I have this paranoia that they won't change anything, but since he has lots of respiratory issues from it I think they should  :-\.
make sure you tell them that from the consult you expect something to change because as things are, he is not improving and you are struggling. :-*

Does the wrap work at all hun? For a while that and a bouncy chair in Ts dark room were the only way I could get him to sleep. Do whatever works right ;)

Do ou think he's hitting the 4 month GS or the 3mth one late? What is he weeks wise, true to date or early?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 19:14:15 pm »
He's 12 weeks adjusted or 16 weeks on Thursday, so it could be time for either. I think it likely is the 3 month one really.

I'm only getting short naps in the wrap, but he does like it and does sleep. Bouncy chair - nope!

He slept for 2hrs at lunchtime on his tummy (and a fair few resettles), but just 20 min naps this afternoon.

He has been through 3 outfits, and I have been through 4 today  :-X.

Ahhhh.... Thanks Emma.... I don't think I'm that great though. I spent his naptime on you tube and ended up in tears wondering if he had a gross motor delay  ::) ::). I'm tired, it's the wrong time of the month, and I'm anxious as a result. I think he just lacks some core strength due to being prem and carried all the time. I think.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 12:06:21 pm »
Yesterday was weird - very short naps all day. Lots of in and out of the car with the 2 older ones and impossible to settle once he had woken. Massive OT meltdown at 6pm (expected!), and passed out after just 2oz milk at 6.15pm.

I had forgotten to give him his Zantac until 1pm, due to the morning madness, and then decided to miss the evening dose else really they are a bit close together. He slept until 2.15am  :o :o. That is 8hrs after a 2oz bottle.... He had 4oz at 4pm before that.

He was very peaceful asleep as well. Less restless. He had 5oz at that wake up and them slept until 5.10pm. I just cuddled him back to sleep until 6am then because if he feeds between 5 and 6 he ends up needing a feed in the middle of the school run, so it's best to APOP him back to sleep and feed at a proper time. I fed him when he woke again at 6.30am. He then fell asleep in the swing (unheard of!) at 8.15am. I put him there as he was fussy and I was trying to pack a PE kit for DS. I just needed to buy 5mins until we left for school.

Very odd.

The night sleep is weird though.... Really odd. He was doing that long stretch before a good few weeks ago but we lost it.

He just fell asleep lay on the floor at a baby thing as well. The boy who has no independent sleep skills at all. I was putting my shoes on to leave. He's been really calm as well.

I know he may just be exhausted after a rough week or so, but I can't help but wonder if he has been getting side effects from the Zantac. Sleep disturbance is listed.... But equally they can get headaches/tummy aches/dizziness. Could be anything really just 'unsettling' him. I hope not. I'd feel horrid  :'(.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 14:15:57 pm »
My guess would be exhaustion really  :-\ the only way to know if it's Zantac would be take him off....but I guess you wouldn't be hugely keen to do that?  Glad you got a decent stretch though even if it was a crash x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 18:32:24 pm »
My guess would be exhaustion really  :-\ the only way to know if it's Zantac would be take him off....but I guess you wouldn't be hugely keen to do that?  Glad you got a decent stretch though even if it was a crash x
I agree. Zac did random 3 hr naps at that age, amongst the 20 min ones (not a lot but a few) - remember it could be GS behaviour too that long stretch at night and sometimes they just do have a good day or night just to confuse us!

Are you waiting for a pead to move him to a PPI?
***Sara***

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 19:06:48 pm »
I'm glad you got a good long stretch. Did you sleep well?

I agree that it could be exhaustion. Babies (and adults) go right into a deep sleep and stay there most of the night if they are that tired. Reid fell asleep in his swing the other day too. It was the first time he put himself to sleep but it was 2 hours after a 30 minute nap so being really tired helped for sure.

Would it be worth skipping another dose just to see what happens? I have no expertise with reflux so I could be way off base here.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 20:17:37 pm »
I took him off  ::) :P. I just hated the idea that some of what was going on was side effects from something I have given him yk?!

He certainly is side effected from it.... It makes him very whingy and irritable (which could be anything obviously....).... And it interrupts his ability to sleep making him sleep very restlessly and so wake often.

However his reflux had noticeably increased. He can completely only sleep on an adult chest now (but he will sleep a nice nap like that - on the ranitidine he was just too restless), and at night he chokes and refluxes and cannot be put down. Yesterday and today he started to lose the ability to feed anymore  :(. So from 4-5oz bottles he can now only take 2oz. He often has a reflux scream afterwards, but overall is still calmer.

We have put him back on a medium dose of ranitidine (2mg/kg). His appt is Thursday. I'm still concerned that they won't use a PPI due to lack of weight loss, but it seems ridiculous to not give him something and leave him on 2oz bottles until it does iyswim?! He almost certainly would FTT like that.

The same thing happened last time when we stopped the ranitidine to see if that would ease the constipation.

At least I have it straight in my head now though.

Sara - I'm hoping for either a PPI or neocate or bath basically. I think he gets enough symptoms to warrant treating regardless of weight, but still concerned they will just leave him since he is gaining. He's second centile, but it is about a month since he was weighed (I'm not a fan of very frequent weigh-ins). But with the amount if respiratory issues he gets I think they still would want to treat usually.

Once again, silly baby!!

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 21:55:41 pm »

I'm still concerned that they won't use a PPI due to lack of weight loss, but it seems ridiculous to not give him something and leave him on 2oz bottles until it does iyswim?! He almost certainly would FTT like that.

Just seen this after reading your last thread and you mentioning his reflux...poor baby  :(.  They really should give him a ppi - at least for a decent trial, surely?  Neither of my two were losing weight, but they were in serious pain, and that was enough for the gastroenterologist to prescribe the ppi after ranitidine had basically done nothing. So many hugs Liz for you and your wee man. 
Claire x

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 09:33:59 am »
I'm still concerned that they won't use a PPI due to lack of weight loss, but it seems ridiculous to not give him something and leave him on 2oz bottles until it does iyswim?! He almost certainly would FTT like that.
Argh this makes me mad. We had this with the public peads here. Because T wasn't loosing enough weight they wouldn't do more. But he wasn't loosing more weight because I was feeding him in his sleep, coaxing etc. so to prove my point I had to stop trying and make my baby starve. It's so wrong and I get so grumpy about it every time I see this with babies. - rant over.

But, honey your a medical professional, your a mama who has btdt you 'know' its reflux and It clearly runs in the family. Let them know this, remind them your not silly, you do know what your saying and that you want a trial. Be firm and strong - I know it's much easier said than done though :-*

Fx you get both, he sounds like he would benefit from both really :-\ let us know how it goes thurs, I'll be thinking of you Hun
***Sara***