Author Topic: Over to under supply?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Anika920

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM to a precious baby boy SAHM
Over to under supply?
« on: March 07, 2015, 14:19:11 pm »
Hey mommas. I am really confused by my milk production. I used to be able to pump 6 oz. and now it's hit and miss. I did not pump yesterday, but I have been trying to do more since Tuesday. The day before after LO feeding I got 3.5 oz. I had done some power pumping a few days prior as well. Today I pumped about 1.5 hours after his am feed and maybe got .5oz. I don't understand why my production seems to be all over the place. The Dr (his ped) checked and doesn't think he has tongue tie and neither do I, but he seems to be an inefficient eater. I am trying to count let downs and when my production seems good I can feel as many as 3-4 when its lower 1 and it seems like I can hear him having a 2nd but can't feel it. Any thoughts on what the hell is happening?

this seems to have been going on for almost 2 weeks he was upset a couple Mondays ago and it never really got better. It wasn't until last Tuesday that I realized he may not be getting enough to wat being on a 3 hour easy. Which it hasn't ever truly been 3 hours always a bit less.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Over to under supply?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 16:10:51 pm »
How old is your lo? A yield really is no indication of your supply at all (have a look at this sticky: I'm worried I may have low milk supply ) and see what you think.  Depending on lo's age they do get pretty efficient and tbh I only ever had one let down per side/per feed time ever with all three of mine and I had oversupply and over active letdown (that one letdown was a gusher!).
Heidi

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 19:28:37 pm »
Hi :)

What's the concern? Length of time feeding? Weight gain? Weight gain can be low with oversupply and undersupply. A pumping yield won't give you a good indication of your production and pumping becomes less efctive as bun grows. Pumping after he's fed also adds another variable - how much he took. I think I felt about two letdown a in my whole 2.5 years feeding, so not all are felt. The most important way to know if LO is getting enough if the right stuff is wet nappy output and weight gain and his general demeanour.

Hugs xx feeding issues can be very difficult to deal with.

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 19:55:54 pm »
He was born via C section which I understand makes them even pudgier and the lose more weight w/in the first 24 hours. However, my first interaction with him I never felt he had a great latch and he lost 9.6% body weight. So ever since I've been concerned he's getting nutrition. He did have poor weight gain and his mood was grumpy up until last Tuesday when I realized he was hungry and not OT, though OT was an issue as well.
2/10 he weighed 9.9
2/18 I had a lactation appt and he looked to be good at 10/10.1
2/24 2/25 and 3/5 he weighed 9.14
Even if the 10lbs was thrown out he seems to have poor weight gain. When I don't seem to have an abundant supply he gets frustrated at the breast and pulls and chews. He is on reflux meds. He has taken his sweet time and fed anywhere from 1-2 hours. So feeding time may be an issue. I've also think he may need to CF rather than just a 30min season on.

Offline becj86

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:03 am »
Ah, poor pet, reflux must be bad :( how old is he?

What sort of dose of the reflux mess is he on? High for his weight? Reflux meds need review regularly in the early months and often the ones you start with don't do the job and different meds are required. If he's still not eating, or gaining, I'd be back off to the doc to get the meds reviewed. Have you seen our reflux board? Loads of helpful  and experienced ladies there who can give some more specific advice. 

Pulling and chewing can be a sign of lack iof milk but can also be LO's way of trying to slow a letdown. My son used to clamp down on the breast and shake his head like a dog with a snake and that was when I was letting down during a feed. OS can make reflux symptoms worse too.

Offline Anika920

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 13:46:30 pm »
He is on 1.2ml 2xs day. I was just told about the reflex board. I may start a thread in there and see what happens. He seems to pull more when my breasts are soft in the middle of the day or later evening rather than with OS or letdown. He does clamp down and pull in his upper lip when he gets OS. I have been trying to make sure I keep the OS since he seemed frustrated when I didn't have one (pumping) so perhaps I should stop doing that! He has only been on the meds since 2/25. He is 7.5 weeks

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:06 am »
I'll leave it to the ladies who know more about the reflux too. Hugs xx