Author Topic: 6 month - BLW  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Ma.of.Bo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Bơ today ♡♥♡♥
« on: March 09, 2015, 13:48:39 pm »
Hi there,
LO is 6 month now & started solid at 5month &  having 1 solid a day.
Im mix feeding w 1 FF a day & the rest are BF.

The main concern is I dunt know how much milk LO take everyday but he started to wake up 4 -5 times at nights (11-12h night). He woke 2-3 times before. He's taking nearly a bowl of solid at feed. I need to stop him cause worrying he would drop milk later. He still wants more.

Should I give him more? Until he doesnt want? I just worry for the milk intake.

For BLW, I tried offer him finger food & I didnt know how he suck suck...bite bite a big peace came to his mouth. That made him cough alots to pill it out. Im not really sure how BLW work. Am I offer it too early for a 6 month Lo? Can you explain to me how we address BLW. & what food would be good ideas?
Má yêu con - Bơ ngoan ♡♥♡♥♡♥

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 6 month - BLW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 23:41:31 pm »
I think you would notice a significant drop in milk if either the formula oz were less or he fed on the breast for less time or showed less interest.  Usually babies are good at self regulating their intake so I would let him continue to eat if he wants more, or offer finger food to keep him happy as he may take in less that way.

Sounds like he gagged. The gag reflex is further forwards in a baby which helps to protect their air way. Gagging and spitting food out is quite normal and shows he is manipulating the food to the front (and out) of his mouth when he needs to.  Just make sure he is sat upright so that he can continue to manipulate the food in this way and bring it forwards or out when he needs to.
There are lots of ideas for finger foods here
Finger Foods (6 months+)

Offline Ma.of.Bo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Bơ today ♡♥♡♥
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:18 am »
You meant, if LO not choke we can let him self feed.
Let say if he bite large pieces, will it make him choke?
My Lo loves finger foods than whatever toy now  ;D
I tried steam carrot,ripe banana & avocado. He was crazy w them :) but always gagged w tears. But always continued eating until I stopped him.
Should i make the food softer? Or more rough?
Ive been following the BLW threads to get ideas for finger foods but its quite hard to understand cause English barrier. Do u know any videos can show how to make those foods?

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:45:33 am »
Hi
What is your preferred language? Is it Vietnamese? I can see if there is anyone who can help.

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:00:22 am »
If you Goggle "baby led weaning" and click "videos" you will get be able to watch lots of videos of LOs self feeding. Maybe this can help you see the size and type of foods and how the babies are eating.
I would say if your LO is continuing to put food in his mouth even after a gag or a cough then he is most likely happy.
A choke (blocking the airway) looks very different, baby will look panicked immediately, will not attempt to continue to feed, will not be breathing. A choke is serious.  A gag is not.

Offline Ma.of.Bo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Bơ today ♡♥♡♥
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 15:56:45 pm »
Thanks creations.
im watching tons of videos & comments on youtube today about BLW & gag reflex & choking.
What can u suggest me to watch more about BLW?
As you said my LO just had gagging & he was happy later. But... I fed him 3meals today & looked he gagged for more than 5 times w tears cause of big pieces which he cant manage. I feel I cant hadle BLW atm :(. I cant hold myself when I saw he cough w tears *sigh*
I might wait until the end of this month to try BLW again.
Im putting mashed food into his spoon & let him self feed. He loves that. I think Iam keepimg this stage & wait. *sigh*. Im not a strong mom :(
Im going fine w basic English just stuck w some like I didnt what is different between puree & mashed food  until Ive got... Youtube  ;D

Can I not offer LO water at all? Cause I give him BF after meals. He just gained 1kg in the last 2 months & his milk intake drop a half today (I think - he took 1 side of breast not 2 as usual). so I just wanna give him more milk insteads of water.

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 16:08:35 pm »
If you are not comfortable with offering finger foods then it's fine to wait a while. Recommendations here are to begin finger foods quite early so LO doesn't get stuck on purees but it doesn't really matter so much.

I don't have any specific videos I can suggest, there is a BLW site if you find that helpful
http://www.babyledweaning.com/

I would offer a sippy cup or straw cup (or open cup if you prefer) of water with each solids meal and perhaps cut back on the solids a little if you are concerned about milk intake.

Offline Ma.of.Bo

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Bơ today ♡♥♡♥
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 18:23:50 pm »
So what if I feed LO soft lumps or dices? I saw some do with dices. I did try dices but LO hold them in hís palm & did not know how to put into his mouth. He can suck the puree in his fingers & can held sticks to put in his mouth but not yet with dices. (Palmer grasp?)

If LO drop milk but still gain weight. Do I need to cut solid ?normally I feed LO 4-5 color a day. Ex:  I feed LO bean, rice, pumkin, baby corn, dark green veggie. Do u reckon that would be enough nutrients for LO if he drop milk? Im going to add river fishes & meat from tomorrow cause LO just hits 6 months 3 days.

We serve water until LO stop or should I stop him?

Offline creations

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 18:49:28 pm »
small pieces, dices, are difficult to pick up at this stage, plus if LO gets it into his mouth he has nothing to hold onto to the piece may go in and he has less control over it. His tongue and mouth can still bring the food forwards but having a stick he can hold onto is perhaps easier and more comfortable.

It is not needed at this stage to cover so many different foods in one day. I see you are offering lots of healthy choices but milk is still the most important food right now.

Usually you would offer as much water as needed.  If you prefer him to BF then perhaps ask him which he wants, water or milk, can he indicate which is his preference?