Author Topic: 11 month old wakes at night  (Read 1013 times)

Offline angie422

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old wakes at night
« on: March 09, 2015, 17:59:32 pm »
SPLIT FROM PREVIOUS TOPIC
Just starting, need help! 9 month old wakes 3-4 times/night

Thank you so much for the help. I've started implementing a few things you suggested and my lo actually quit nursing on her own last week.  :P  Which is good and bad, because now I'm really having a hard time getting her to sleep in the evening and she still wakes up 1-2 times during the night. This is what her day looks like about now:

7-8 am  -- wake
8:30 -10:30 -- A (eat breakfast)
10:30- 12 -- nap
12 - 3 -- A (eat lunch)
3:30-5ish -- nap
5 - 8 -- A (eat dinnr)
8 -9 -- BT
(she always wakes up 1/2 hour after going to bed, no matter what time it is)
1am - 2nd wake

So since she weaned herself from nursing, I finally got her to take a bottle but she doesn't sit there and drink the whole thing at once. She'll just take her time and she hardly ever finishes 6oz. So I'm trying to get her to eat more during the day.

Putting her down for naps is fairly easy, I just hold her and walk around for less than 5 minutes and she falls asleep fine. But for some reason I can't do that at BT. I have to hold her and walk around for a long while before she'll settle, and even then she doesn't go to sleep 50% of the time. I know you recommended so I think I'll start it as soon as she feels better from a cold she's been fighting off for the last week.

But my main question is: Should I start pu/pd with the NW or for her naps as well? She goes down great for her naps, but should I be consistent? Her NW are so much harder now, because I can't just nurse her back to sleep. I'm usually in there with her for 1-2 hours with no success, and then my husband has to put her to bed. Is it SA then? I know I'm so much closer to success now then I was before, but I'm definitely losing more sleep. Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:04:15 pm by Martii85 »

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 11 month old wakes at night
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 19:38:46 pm »
Hi there, it looks to me like she's getting too much daytime sleep and that's likely why you're having to work so hard to get her to sleep at bedtime and she's also waking during the night.  At this age, she likely needs one short nap (45min) and one long nap (1.5hr). Have a read through this link and let me know what you think... From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older) 

Independent sleep will help at bedtime and the NW as well, but ultimately if she's not on the right routine she will not be able to get herself to sleep.  I'd work on getting the routine down first and then on teaching her independent sleep.