Author Topic: 3 month old 4 day feeds and 2 NF  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Thejoys

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 11, 2015, 17:45:47 pm »
So we have ds2 reflux and constipation issues under control. In order to avoid feeding to sleep he now only gets 4 bottles during the day.

Easy is generally:
Wakes at 7 but won't eat until 8 so I do E from 8 or whenever he starts to drink
S 8.30
E 11am or before
A
S 12.30
E 2pm
A
S 3.30
E 5pm
S 6.30/6.45

He wakes around 12/12.30 and again at 3.30 for NF. He has been finishing 5oz at every feed the past couple of days so will be increasing from tomorrow.

I was trying get a quick.cat nap of 20 mins or so in before bed and feeding before putting him down but cat nap won't happen in cot only in my arms and we need to eat around then so its becoming a disaster.

Advice welcome and appreciated please.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 18:26:49 pm »
Honey and what is your problem...? He is having 6 bottles with 5oz each so is taking 30oz together, it's a good amount, unless he shows you he needs more. But I guess if he refuses 7am feed he is getting enough. I think it happens that children with reflux may eat less often and bigger bottles. You would like to get rid of 2NF?

I would say that you may either offer a DF or if a DF is not working for him, you could just wake him at 10/11pm and offer a feed. But I would expect him to wake at least once after this DF, but this way you can get rid of one NF which you probably do after you going to bed.

He may also surprise you and when he starts to get bigger bottles he may start to wake once at night for a NF. If this happens you also can try to make it a DF and hope he will sleep till morning.

3/4mo not needing to eat for 8h is possible. We were having one NF (later I transferred that to DF) from 6wo till 6mo. Not every kid does it, but it's possible:).
~Marta

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: 3 month old 4 day feeds and 2 NF
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 18:37:06 pm »
My DS is 15 weeks, but 11 adjusted. He had a very similar bottle pattern. He takes 4-5oz per feed.

Until his stomach can hold higher volumes I assume I am stuck really. To get rid of one bottle it's an extra 1oz per feed, but if they are growing their need is also rising.

Offline Thejoys

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:56:37 am »
I meant to add that because the night feeds are during the night iykwim we are both knackered. He also tends to wake up after the 2nd feed and stays awake talking and chattering for over an 1 hour which is adding to the tiredness for me especially as I can't sleep when he is awake. If I could get him to drop one nf it would help. I feel and look like a zombie and at 13 weeks would have thought I'd be better rested at this stage.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:48:08 am »
Oh Hon, it's so tough in these early days but it will pass, you will see. Quicker than you think.

Are the advices we have given you fine? Would you try DF or anything we have proposed...?
~Marta

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: 3 month old 4 day feeds and 2 NF
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 22:08:05 pm »
..... and at 13 weeks would have thought I'd be better rested at this stage.

My expectations were obviously lower. My DS didn't STTN until 12 months and DD was 9 mths. Both refluxers. DD under control from about 4/5 mths, DS took much longer.

As Marti says, needing night feeds is very normal, and yes very tiring!

I second trying a dream feed xxx

If there is a lot of chattering you may need a routine tweak - is he getting too much daytime sleeps?