Author Topic: bedtime suggestions for a 1 month old??  (Read 809 times)

Offline 2csmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:17:18 pm »
We have a 2 year old who goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 each night. We all get up for the day between 6:00 and 6:30 due to needing to leave the house for work and daycare by 7 or 7:15.

What would an appropriate bedtime be for our one month old. we follow easy and he is fairly predictable about feedings. There are some days that he sleeps longer and others that he takes a shorter nap here or there. Typically his morning nap right now starts about 30 minutes after waking and eating. He then sleeps until the next feeding. Towards the later afternoon, he typically eats around 3, and then sleeps starting at 4. Then by 5:30 is hungry.

The issue we have is he then typically is awake starting at 5:30 until we decide it's time for bed. During the day, I can barely keep him awake for an hour and if I go past an hour, he is overtired. but at 5:30, he is up for two hours or more sometimes. During this time, he isn't overly fussy but is usually being held. Many times, he eats nonstop from 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, you name it.

What should I do?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: bedtime suggestions for a 1 month old??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 15:09:29 pm »
Hi there & welcome to BW,

It is generally best to aim for a 12 - 12.5 hr day. So you could set BT at 6.30 or 7,maybe, so that you can get him down & then be with your DD. It is actually great to have a fixed WU & BT as their internal body clock adjusts to that.

However, these are early days, hun, and with the growth spurts & qitching hours & cluster feeds, everything is a bit muddled. Regarding him being awake longer in the evening - perfectly normal as all babies have a period in the day when they can stay up longer. Cluster feeding in the evening is also perfectly normal. I remember at 4 months feeding from 2.30pm to 8pm! In the first month, DD slept at 8 usually because she would feed for so very long in the evening. But then I started feeding before and after the catnap & then again splitting the feed around bath time. This seemed to suit her just fine.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: bedtime suggestions for a 1 month old??
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 13:52:21 pm »
Hi there. How are things for you now?