Author Topic: 11 month old multiple night wakings with good naps during the day  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Reeds Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 11 month old has been a sleeping challenge since day 1. We've finally gotten into a semi-normal sleep pattern except one issue we can't break...night wakings. His daytime routine is solid and easy. Naps are simple and uneventful. Our schedule looks like this:
Wake 7:00am
Eat 7:30am
Nap 9-10:00am
Eat 10:00am
Eat 1:00pm
Nap 1-3:00pm
Eat 4:00pm
Eat 7:00pm
Bedtime 7:00pm

Here's where the trouble starts:
11:00pm wake and cry. We let him cry himself back to sleep which takes about 10-15 minutes.
1:00am wake and cry. We bottle feed him and he put him back down where he then lays and talks in his crib for about 20 minutes.
4:00am wake and cry. We let him cry himself back to sleep which takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
6:00am wake and cry. We let him cry himself back to sleep which takes about 10-15 minutes.
How can we get him to sleep more sound at night?

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 11 month old multiple night wakings with good naps during the day
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 17:47:25 pm »
Please, please do not let him cry himself back to sleep hun. That's CIO and is not supported here on this site as Tracy believed it broke the bonds of trust between a LO and its caregiver. I think you'll have to work on re establishing the trust. I'll post a link in a bit.

From the looks of your routine, you're expecting a lot of day sleep. 12hrs at night and 3hrs of DT sleep is probably far too much at this age unless you feel he's particularly HSN? That first nap is far too early too. Many are going through the 2-1 so are doing a 13hr day with around 2hrs of DT sleep.

Please go to him at night if he needs you. I'd look at capping that second nap to 1.5hrs in the meantime and see if that helps. 11moo is a tricky time for sleep as it usually coincides with a need for a major increase in A times too. Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Cry it out (CIO): 10 reasons why it is not for us
Regaining Trust of Your Child
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 17:52:40 pm by Kellyjs »

Offline Jodes112

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
Re: 11 month old multiple night wakings with good naps during the day
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 18:51:15 pm »
Hi!

I would aslo agree that the nightwakes could be because he is UT, ie not enough A time in the day between naps and too much day sleep. Although if high sleep needs 3hrs of day sleep may be ok just need to push that A time.

My DS was on 2 naps until around 19 months he was HSN, but he would go 3/3.5 hrs between naps. Wake 7 nap at 10 for an hour, nap at 2.30 til 4 then bed at 7! Slept sound at night.

On the other hand my DD was just about on one nap by 12 months. And we were definately capping and extending A at 11mo. I believe her day looked something like this- wake 6.30 nap 10 to 10.30, nap 1-3 and then bed at 7. If she had too much day sleep, her nights were effected big time.

As pp said, id try pushing that first nap out to be later. Abd see how you get on. It may be that you would then need to cap one of the naps anyway to fit them into the day.

Hth
Jody
 xx