Author Topic: Refuses nap every few days?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: March 18, 2015, 17:09:20 pm »
Starting last week lo would refuse his nap a few days then he was fine and went back to napping. Today it started again. I put him in crib for nap hew cries for a few mins then stops but stands up and starts crying. I gave him a bit to settle but he was getting so upset so I went in to console him and lay him back down but he just starts up crying again when I leave the room. Any suggestions?

Offline Mattsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 18:25:18 pm »
How old is he hun, and what is his easy right now?
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 19:11:22 pm »
He will be 21 months end of March. He usually is:
7-730 wake
1230-2 nap this can be 1 hr 15 mins some days almost 2 hrs
730 into crib lately he's not falling asleep until 8

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Refuses nap every few days?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 19:50:37 pm »
Sounds kind of normal to me.....we had on/off nap refusal from about that age.  How about shifting naptime a little later to 12.45/1pm?  I wonder if you're in an UT/OT loop with a nap a touch too early right now?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 20:56:03 pm »
He's usually tired by 1230 after lunch but  guess I could try. He's napped grrat the past few days at 1230. Guess I'll put him to bed by 7 tonight.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 23:05:48 pm »
My gut feeling is a little seperation anxiety. He only wants me lately not even his daddy. What can I do for that?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:05:12 am »
Just reassurance and WIWO for naptime really. I would consider the later nap though, tired signs may well just be habit at this age x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 10:59:24 am »
I have tried a bit later for nap but the problem was that he gets hungry for lunch at 12 and will go to the kitchen to the refrigerator lol I've tried to occupy him and stall lunch but he just hangs around in kitchen fussing. Then he also knows that after lunch we go right up for nap and when I took him from highchair and just let him play a bit until it was later he as s hard time stopping what he's doing to go up for nap. This guy is so accustomed to routine! Yesteday he cried when I put him into crib for a minute than passed out for a 1 hour 15 min nap and was up by 145 and bedtome was the same at 730 he was asleep by 750. But he is up early today at 640 when he usually sleeps until 730 am.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »
I wouldn't let meals dictate sleep really.... :-\ I mean yes he might be fussing but surely you could keep him occupied for 15 mins?  Or just let him sit in the highchair with some finger foods or something?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 13:51:47 pm »
I'll give it a try! It's not that meals dictate sleep it's just that he know that a nap comes after lunch. So I think im better off just trying pushing out lunch instead of letting him get involved in play after lunch since I have a hard time tsking him away from what he's doing to put down for nap. He's more likely to refuse the nap that way.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 23:55:56 pm »
I've realized on the days where lo refuses nap either I find that he has pooped when I go in to calm him or like today he finally resettled after me going in and 30 mins later he woke up and had pooped. Not much I can do to prevent this but it's messing up his nap !

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 18:13:45 pm »
So I've been trying to push the nap back from 1230 to 1245/1 depending on when he wakes in morning and we are still having issues. Mostly when I leave the room he stands up in crib and cries. I've notuced if I go right back in and pick him up for a cuddle and try to leave again eventually he falls asleep. I was letting him try to settle on his own but the more upset he got the greater the chance he wouldn't sleep at all. Just not sure why he is doing this out of nowhere. And I don't think the later I put him down helps much.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 19:02:21 pm »
What time is morning WU and what time is he actually falling asleep for nap?  Any teeth coming through?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 22:36:19 pm »
Morning wake up is between 7-730. I guess he might be getting molars not dure. Tiday he went in at 1245 and fell asleep at 1:05 after going back in the calm him but then he only sleeps an hour

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 00:48:54 am »
What am I doing wrong? Today he was up at 720/730 am and went down for nap at 1245 fell asleep around 1 but didn't cry! Slept until 215/220 and bedtime was the same 730/740 and usually falls asleep by 8. Tonight he was up until 830 in crib talking and rolling around! He's never up that late! Ugh