Author Topic: I'm new here... and need help  (Read 878 times)

Offline overtherainbow

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 20, 2015, 01:25:21 am »
I have a 6 month old.  She is breastfed.  We are just introducing solids.  She breastfeeds every 3 hours.  She eats solids a couple times a day.  She uses a pacifier and a little cotton doll to fall asleep. 

My problem is... she takes 30 minute naps.  She gets very crabby after being awake for 1 hour.  She falls asleep very quickly and easily, but only sleeps for half an hour.  At night she sleeps for 3 hour stretches and I nurse her back to sleep.

How can I get her naps to be longer and less waking up during the night?

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: I'm new here... and need help
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 06:58:18 am »
Hi and welcome to BW. It sounds very much like your LO is just not tired enough to sleep longer hun. 1hr A time is vv short for her age. Many are doing 2.5 - 3hrs. Have a look here Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Is she an independent sleeper? I understand you bf her back to sleep at night but does she go down for her naps on her own? If so, I would look at gradually extending those A times by 15mins every couple of days until you reach an A time that helps her sleep longer. I'm presuming those NW's will either be because she's in an UT/OT loop (in that she's going down for naps UT, having multiple short, non restorative naps then getting OT by the end of the day), or because she's teething? Any sign of teeth?

Would you mind posting your current easy and we'll have a look and see what we can do. It might be difficult to stretch the A times at first, as going down for naps can be learned behaviour at this age and sleepy cues unreliable, but that doesn't mean she won't be grumpy. I'll be here to hold your hand... I've btdt with rubbish short naps x