Author Topic: 2yr 11mo: constant calling out or crying after BT  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 2yr 11mo: constant calling out or crying after BT
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 20:21:42 pm »
Sunflower- would you advocate capping the nap to avoid a too late BT?

Weaver- when you say go to her if she is starting to escalate,  what would you do? Lay her down in silence?

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 18:53:46 pm »
I think we need to hear about your routine before we recommend nap capping. Can you post the average day? Not the ideal, more as it generally works out.   

If I had been outside the door trying to calm with my voice, and then needed to go in because that wasn't working, I would go in, if there is no need requiring attention, sit down beside the cot (or elsewhere if normal) and say 'time to go to sleep' (or your own phrase) and just be very very calm, while LO settles down.  Or, you can go in, check everything is ok, not sit down, and say good night or whatever, and leave again, and again attempt to reassure from outside the door.  When my 2 yr 10 mo kicks up a bit, often the second go goes very smoothly if carried out exactly as a 'usual' bedtime would be, without any reference to her calling out etc.  At this age, I would not lie her down, I would expect her to lie herself down, perhaps with some encouragement like patting the mattress or saying 'lie down please'.  Physically lying her down will cause more stimulation/excitement if she resists. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 13:46:42 pm »
All times are approximate

6.30/7am-WU
7.30/8am-breakfast
10/10.30am-snack
12 noon-lunch
1.30/2pm-nap
3.30/4pm-snack
5.15pm-dinner
7.30/8pm-BT (not ideal, before all this started she was good at starting BT @7pm)

Offline weaver

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 14:02:11 pm »
Well there's obviously a spectrum here but to give you an idea my 2 yr 10 mo isn't napping AT ALL during the day.  She needs it but has decided against :P she's in bed by 6.30 at the latest every day.  I wouldn't advocate dropping the nap cold, or cutting it too much, but I would not let her sleep til 4pm.  I think she might need a cut off more like 3pm to preserve the BT you want.  Mine had a clear 'witching hour' after which they could not be let sleep if BT was going to stand, and that was 3.30 pm from about 8 mo or so. 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 14:45:52 pm »
Yep, I'm with you on not letting her nap past 4 and tbh, she doesn't tend to. She usually is up by 3/3 15pm.  Today unfortunately, she has a cold and couldn't nap as too bunged up-i really tried... So I'll be putting her to bed on time (7pm) or earlier as we'll probably have a bad night again.WDYT?

Offline weaver

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 17:55:56 pm »
Oh poor thing. I'd be tempted to go earlier than the usual time, say 6.30 or earlier, but see how she's doing.  She might be even sleepier than normal, if she's not feeling weel.    I'm sure you've done all the usual stuff of raising the head of her bed, and so on.  Nothing to do but ride it out when they're ill I'm afraid.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 20:44:58 pm »
Yep ok. I be back in touch post-illness if still having trouble with my query. Thanks for your help.

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 21:12:59 pm »
Hi. Just an update. ..

I took over BT tonight as hubby normally does hers every night while I see to the baby. I felt like I should try and go back to square 1 of sitting in the room as she's been calling out a bit more each night. She was pretty bad tonight.  She just sang and talked at me for a good 3/4 of an hour. I just kept saying 'lay down,  night night'. Eventually I had to go over to her and encourage her to lay down and covered her up again. After that she settled. In all it took 1.15hrs from the point of going in the bedroom to start BT (@ 8.15pm), to the point of leaving the room....

I sat there feeling so confused about what we should perhaps do from now on given how she was tonight. Part of me thinks WI/WO  might be better for her as I felt like a novelty and distraction sitting there.  Part of me thought we should keep going with gradual retreat for a few nights.  Part of me thought we should cap the nap as she just seemed so awake. I don't know...WDYT?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 13:50:30 pm »
If she seems so awake and ut I think that no matter which method you choose it will be a drawn out affair really unless the nap is capped. I cannot let my lsn 20 month old nap past 2:30 or we have bedtime issues (better now that it is spring and we can get out and wear her out!).   
Heidi

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 21:07:35 pm »
Yes I see. I was this thinking capping may have to be the next thing...She often doesn't like being woken though and isn't there that thing about them needing their sleep to grow?  So if I disturb her to wake her I stop all the chemical processes she's trying to go through?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 21:45:25 pm »
It depends...mine have a benefited more from a longer night and capped naps  (though tbh a big part of that is also a benefit to me - free evenings!) so I went with it but some kids would do as well on a longer nap and shorter night. If that is what you think might work then I would push bedtime back so she doesn't go down ut and take ages to fall asleep. As long as they get the sleep that is optimal for them, whether it is in a nap or at night probably doesn't matter so much. None of my kids like being woken either - but then I hate being woken too so might just be how they are wired.
Heidi

Offline Canadian Nat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 13:04:23 pm »
O.K. Thanks.  I think about it based on how she goes today and decide what to try.