Author Topic: (Almost) 7 month old - EASY help!  (Read 1451 times)

Offline my_tribe

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 22, 2015, 21:13:23 pm »
Hi everyone. We really need your input and help. LO will be 7 months on Thursday. We really need your input on how to tweak our schedule to find something that works. We're so exhausted and feel a bit lost on what to try to change next.

LO was doing amazing sleeping through the night. Her easy looked something like this....

7 wake, nurse solids
9 nap
11 wake, nurse, solids
1 nap
3 wake, nurse
Around 5 or 5:30 cat nap for 30 mins
6 solids
6:30 bath and bed time routine
7 nurse
Bed by 7:30, 8 at the latest

The problems started happening when she wouldn't fall asleep for her cat nap. She would sometimes want to cat nap around 6 but if we put her down then she wouldn't be ready for bed until at least 8:30. We thought she was ready to be done with the cat nap but when she stays up from 3  - 7 she wakes up frequently in the evenings and/or 2 - 4 times a night.  Normally between 2 and 6am.

Around the same time LO starting waking up at the 45 min mark from her afternoon nap. So I extended the wake time to 2.5 hours which seemed to help the nap but the night waking were still happening. Shortly after that LO started waking early from her morning nap so I've tried extending the wake time from anyway around 2.5 - 3hours and it's been hit or miss and the night waking are still happening. sometimes she will be awake for a couple hours at a time in the middle of the night. She knows how to self sooth but now she will only sometimes settle if we go in and hold her.

Our easy has been changing everyday because we've had to readjust because of short naps and/or early mornings.

We would so appreciate any how we can get. Does anyone have a EASY they would suggest trying? Thank you!

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: (Almost) 7 month old - EASY help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:52:29 am »
Hello there:) Reading your post, I'm pretty sure that you are in the midst of the 3-2 transition where your LO is ready to drop the CN and move to 2 naps
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
You can also chat with others going through this transition here -->
Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2

We thought she was ready to be done with the cat nap but when she stays up from 3  - 7 she wakes up frequently in the evenings and/or 2 - 4 times a night.
Yes, this makes sense. See, although she doesn't need the CN, she can't do such a long A before bed. 4 hours is a lot! NWs soon after bed as well as waking earlier than usual in the morning generally are good indicators for OT. But the only reason the gap is so big is because her A times through the day are very low. At 7 months, her A should be around 2.45/3 hours. You mentioned that you have tried extending the times but the NWs continue. This is because she is overall OT at the moment. I suggest that you keep adding 15 minutes or so every few days and extend them to an appropriate time. Remember to do it gradually and hold at each point for a few days to prevent her from getting even more OT. Once you have extended it, your pm nap should end by around 4/4.30, shortening the gap before bed.
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

In the mean time though, you could opt for doing an early bed time. So if your pm nap ends at 3, put her bed by 6. I even put DD to bed at 5.30 for a while during this transition. She will anyway be quite tired since you are also stretching out her A times, so EBT could just be the fix you need.

For what it's worth, our EASY during the 3-2 transition at 5.5 months was
7- WU
10-11.30 -- nap 1
2.30 - 4 -- nap 2
BT - 7

Hope that helps!

Offline my_tribe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:51:15 am »
Thank you so much!!

What was your feeding schedual through that? Would you feed just 3 hours between each other between 4pm and bed at 7? Will LO be hungry enough?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 05:47:30 am »
I fed on WU in the morning, after nap 1, again 30/45 minutes before nap 2 and then at bedtime. We were also still doing a dream feed at that point. If I fed at 4, she was not hungry at BT

Offline my_tribe

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 19:21:03 pm »
Things have been good a little better...
We've now extended her awake times to around 3 hours. Naps are now back to normal (1.5 - 2hours) and she goes to sleep immediately when we put her down but She is still waking a couple times in the early morning between 5-6am. This morning when she woke at 5:20am and she in and out of sleep till 7am.

Yesterday this was our schedule:
7:00wake, 7:15 nurse
8 solids
10:15 nap
12:15 wake nurse
1 solids
3:00nap
4:30wake, nurse
6 solids
7:30 nurse, bed
10:30 dreamfeed

Where do I go from here?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:30:10 am »
My advice would be to give it a while more before we make more changes. It could simply be residual OT causing it and few more good naps/nights should do the trick.