Author Topic: Transitioning from sleeping in swing to crib  (Read 2513 times)

Offline HollyNF122

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Transitioning from sleeping in swing to crib
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:18:35 am »
Hello everybody!

Our LO is 7 months old and has been sleeping in a swing since birth for the most part. We had him sleeping in the crib for a couple weeks but then we hit the 4-month sleep regression mark and went back to the swing, desperate for a better nights rest. Our LO sleeps in the swing for naps and at night. We don't turn the swing on or anything. We originally thought he was having reflux issues, so that is why we put him to sleep in the swing so he would be sitting up more. (He doesn't have reflux issues). A couple months ago we would try to put him in his crib to sleep and as soon as we would lay him down he would be wide awake, kick his legs, and fuss. So we went back to the swing and during the day I would put him in his crib awake with a toy for 10-15 minutes so he wouldn't think the crib is a scary place. We tried again this weekend and it did not go so well. On night one, our LO only woke up once, we replaced the paci, and he went right back to sleep. On night 2, I was up with him from 1:30-2:30, and he woke up one other time around 4:00. Last night he woke up 5 times between 7:00 and 10:00 so we put him back in his chair. When in his chair we use a blanket to kind of "tuck him in." We use it to tuck his arms in but he can easily get them out and often does throughout the night. When he would wake up in his crib I would use the blanket to "tuck him in" but once he fell asleep I would take the blanket off for safety reasons. I think he likes the containment of his chair and being "tucked in." He sleeps through the night when in his chair. We kept our routine the exact same when putting him to sleep in his chair and putting him to sleep in his crib. It would be easier if he slept in his crib, especially for travel! Any advice at all would be so helpful! Thanks in advance!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Transitioning from sleeping in swing to crib
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:20:20 am »
Hi there :)
The thing with transitions such as this is there is unlikely to be a perfectly 100% happy way to go about it. If your LO likes sleeping in the chair/swing then he is going to fuss and protest at the changes.  Really you need to commit fully to the change yourself before you expect him to accept it.  When you are fully committed he will be able to accept it (with your help and support) over a period of days, it may take up to a week but with no other option he really will learn to sleep comfortably in his crib.  Personally I wouldn't even try to make the change until you feel 100% committed.

My LO slept in a baby hammock until he was 9 months. At 9 months he suddenly started to roll in it which is a SIDS safety hazard, I had to move him immediately. For me there was 100% commitment because I knew I could not put him in danger by putting him to bed in his hammock any longer (some LOs sleep in a hammock until they are 12 months or even older because they do not try to turn). It was not easy, I'd say 3 to 4 days of hell actually. But once the process was started there was no going back. I stayed in his room right by his cot, I even got in his cot for part of the night, I slept on the floor by his cot part of the night...I was pretty exhausted by it all but with my support he learned he was safe in his cot and learned to go back to sleep. He probably returned to full independence by about 1 week.

If there is a period of time you can plan for, a few days when you/DH are not working or when you can call in back up from other family members for instance, that can help enormously. I accepted that I would get no night sleep for a few days and asked my mum to come over in the day to entertain DS during his A time, during that time I did the absolute minimum house work (like wash and sterilise bottles which can't be put off) and get some rest. She would hand over DS back to me for nap time so I could support him in his cot transition.

WRT tucking in - if your LO likes the blanket and you can remove it after he sleeps I would continue to do that. Or look at alternatives such as the baby sleeping bags which can offer a snugly sleep area which feels a little more contained.  It isn't advised to use anything else in the cot at this age even though many babies would prefer the smaller, nest type feeling rather than the open flat mattress feeling.

Hope this helps some.

Offline HollyNF122

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 14:33:47 pm »
Thank for your response! I think I need to be more realistic regarding the transition. I had high hopes because the first night went so well! Haha. When in the crib we have been putting him in a sleep sack with his arms free but he just loves to have his arms lightly tucked in too. Also, we are still doing a dream feed. Do you think we should try to cut that out at the same time or do one transition before the other? Do you think it would be easier to transition to the crib with or without the dream feed?

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 20:09:32 pm »
I would deal with one thing at a time.  For me the choice would be crib first then once all that is settled wean the DF.  The DF can go gradually over a week or so in a no-tears way rather than cold turkey and having to use shush/pat or PU/PD at the primary method.  It's likely something you may be dreading (I did!) but if you plan ahead can really be extremely easy.
It really is up to you which goes first though, what *you* are ready for.  Like I said, there is likely to be upset with the crib transition so no point starting until you are sure you are ready  - but it will be done within say 3-7 days, the crying and sleepless nights don't go on for ever ;)

Offline bossanovile

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 14:24:08 pm »
Reviving this thread in case there are other moms out there weaning off the swing to the crib and have success stories to share? Or Holly how did the transition go?

My LO just turned 3 months, her terrible reflux is finally under control and I have had a better time dealing with my touchy/spirited girl - and I think it's time to put the much needed relief of night sleep behind me (she sleeps swaddled and fully reclined almost 8-10h at a go) and start getting her to have some motionless sleep at night.

She sleeps on the crib/a mattress already for naps (but short ones! Sigh!) and the swing is right by her crib. I would love a dose of optimism or any other

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 19:38:11 pm »
Hey bossanovile, did you get any help with this on another board perhaps? If not, can I encourage you to start a new thread for this to get more eyes on it? (((Hugs)))