Author Topic: 18 mo mess. Where do I start?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Mjaz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: 18 mo mess. Where do I start?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 01:42:52 am »
Thank you ladies.  We do the full wind-down, but maybe I should try more of it in her crib - like singing to her?  I sit next to her crib with my hand on her back and facing the other way.  We don't make eye contact.  She just seems to want/need me to have my hand on her back.  If I don't she's standing jumping up and down and yelping.  Ugh!  I will check the links.  And I agree - this is probably a terrible time to train, but I have to try something!  Thank you!!!
Melinda

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:27 am »
She just seems to want/need me to have my hand on her back.
The idea with BW or the no-cry sleep solution, which are very similar, is to gradually wean this need so she has the confidence to fall to sleep without your hand there.
Many times we can get a bit carried away with our soothing/reassuring method (whatever that is) and because we are likely very tired ourselves it is so easy to go into a kind of 'hand on back and go into a daze' state.  I suggest for beginning the sleep training gradual wean that you try to remain absolutely vigilant to her movements and breathing so that as she gets settled and drowsy, beginning to nod off you reduce the pressure of your hand. For the first stage she can still fall to sleep with your hand on her, but a slightly lighter touch, if she fusses you can add a little more pressure again to give the reassurance but then reduce again as soon as she begins to calm or nod.  This may happen several times in one BT and that's fine the idea is in the end she falls to sleep with a lighter touch. Then move on a step, next BT begin again with the firm touch but more quickly reduce the pressure, again if she fusses increase, then decrease.  It's a gradual process of reduction with constant reassurance.  The ultimate aim of course (a few steps down the line) is for her to go into the cot, for you to do a brief hand on her and leave the room.
There is actually one bonus to beginning it now which is that her BTs are pretty rubbish anyway so she is already losing sleep.  Often parents are afraid of a gradual wean because it is likely to cause a bit of lost sleep as LO doesn't fall to sleep quite as quickly when these reduction steps are in place - until they have adapted to it that is.

Buntybear has suggested shushing so she can hear the sound of your voice, if you find shushing bothers her (some don't like shushing at this age) try introducing a key phrase, something like "everything is ok, it's sleepy time" and repeat this. This is the equivalent to shushing as eventually you can use the verbal reassurance from outside the door if/when needed.

let us know how you get on.

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 11:17:59 am »
Sounds likes a very doable plan.  Thank you.  I'm on it.  The last few days she's changed things up, of course.  She's been STTN but waking at 4:45am screaming and crying.  Wakes my sons up.  And we haven't been able to get her back to sleep.  Sigh.  I don't know which scenario is worse.  And I'm not sure what the screaming is about!  She acts like she wants to nurse, but I finished weaning her a couple weeks back.  Ideas?  Thank you so much.
Melinda

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 15:05:09 pm »
Sorry honey my ideas remain the same, teeth and/or developmental related to the 18 month regression.  Honestly mine was independent sleeper from about 8 wks old, needed help through teething and illness of course but generally self settled. the 18 month regression had us tearing our hair out, start at 16 months here.
Perhaps others have other ideas...but to me the night waking and screaming sound like developmental dreams, there is so much processed during sleep.  We had huge language leaps which were major sleep disturbers too...but it's lovely at the end when they come out with new words!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 19:40:33 pm »
Hi - have to agree with Creations last postings. She has described how we weaned Olly from having a hand on him basically. Just lighter and lighter until it is your presence only she needs. Then again remove that gradually too x

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 21:06:01 pm »
In addition to the gradual hand-weaning process, I wanted to add another suggestion - maybe if she likes pressure on her back when she's falling asleep, a tightly tucked blanket would help her feel secure. At 18 months, I think a blanket in the crib is safe. You could tuck it into the bottom of the mattress on both sides so that it's snug around her - maybe that pressure would help her stay calm and keep lying down during bedtime and night wakings. Just something else to try.

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:05 am »
Thank you!  We're trying! 😝
Melinda