Author Topic: Very cute 17 month old is driving me INSANE.  (Read 2431 times)

Offline kjr928

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Very cute 17 month old is driving me INSANE.
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:25:59 am »
My DS who is 17 months is driving me crazy. He demands constant attention and doesn't let me get anything done. Everything is a huge crisis and he is crying non-stop.

He wants to do all kinds of dangerous/inappropriate things, and when I stop him it's like World War 3 in the house. Anytime I turn my back on him to get some stuff done he freaks out in hysterics until I stop and pick him up. He wants to be held A LOT. I don't dare do my dishes - if the dishwasher is open he is pulling out plates and utensils and carrying them around and/or breaking them. He is climbing up on tables and chairs (and sometimes falling - you'd think he would learn), getting his fingers stuck in drawers and cabinets, he is learning to yank open baby gates and takes off up the stairs, he is hitting my dog and cats with any objects he can find (he has been bitten by the dog once now), he is getting stuff out of the garbage, getting his diaper changed is a nightmare with struggling and flip-flopping and running all over the place, he is eating dog food (the dog has to go with out food for 12 hours a day now to keep him away from it), he actually spontaneously learned to open my front door and took off on his own last week - right out into the street!

It just goes on. He never stops going, I have to watch him every second of the day. He doesn't care about toys at all, he won't watch any form of television. He wants to be held, and as soon as I pick him up, he's arching his back and struggling to get down. The next minute he's clinging to my leg. He cannot or will not entertain himself in anyway at all. I CANNOT make him happy or at peace. He is a danger to himself and sometimes I find myself holding my bladder for hours until I put him down for his nap and finally go pee. Letting him cry hasn't seemed to help - it seems to make him more clingy to me.

At night he sleeps for about 12 hours (7:30p to 7:30a) and he takes a 2.5 - 3 hour nap during the day. (The only peace and quiet I get is spent trying to catch up on all the chores I couldn't get done).
Can anyone give me any suggestions??? I am exhausted.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Very cute 17 month old is driving me INSANE.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:39:50 am »
(((Hugs))) he sounds a lot like my DD3! Being that she is my third though not much phases me...she comes along to the bathroom with me, helps with dishes and food prep and has learned to climb most anything. I have all our taller furniture secured to the walls and got baby gates that even dh and I have a hard time with. She cannot open the house door (yet!) but personally I would be putting a lock higher up or a deadbolt with a key lock on both sides in that case.

When you say let him cry do you mean as he follows you in the house? I certainly will carry on with a chore while she whines at my leg but generally her cries mean something and I try to respond to what I think she is "saying".

I wouldn't normally recommend tv...but tbh baby einstein shows are the only thing DD will sit for a couple of minutes for, but only if someone is with her. Does he get a lot of time to play outside?  That is key here, or some physical activity in the house.
Heidi

Offline kjr928

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:02:16 am »
Hi, thanks for your reply,

We haven't been playing outside for quite some time - we had about 3 feet of snow for the last couple of months and it's not quite warm enough yet. As soon as we can manage, we will be spending a lot of time at the playground!

I've been trying to get him to look at the Baby Einstein vids I have for the last couple of months. He won't. Oh how I wish he would!

So yes, he follows me around the house crying endlessly. I want to tear my hair out. He hangs on my legs so I really can't do anything, because if I move around a little, then he falls, and he becomes inconsolable - hysterical. He can't help me do anything because he is just breaking stuff or using objects as weapons against my pets or my 4yo DD (or just hanging on me crying).

It's the endless crying that is really driving me crazy. If he is awake, he is crying. I can't stand it. I thought it would get better when he learned to walk, and I think it did for a very short period, but now it's worse than ever. He just seems really, really frustrated. I don't know how to fix it though because I think all of his needs are being met. I don't know what to do, but he has just got to stop this endless incessant screaming!!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:33:10 am »
Do you have any type of carrier? I use one and carry DD3 if I have a job that really needs doing...otherwise it waits until someone else is around to distract her! Does he like books at all? Colouring? (Washable markers of course ;)). Does he talk/communicate with you?

Heidi

Offline ButterflyLily

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:13:12 pm »
Have you tried using a hands-free carrier or is he too heavy for that? As for his beahvior - we all know it's not easy to negotiate with a toddler.

About the dog.

I decided several months back to try to teach my older son (3.5 years old) "rough" and "gentle". Neither is "bad", and I'll suggest he be either at different times (for example, be "rough" with your drum, but give gentle touches to the neighbor's puppy or your fellow toddler).

After that you can tell him to give gentle touches to the puppy (guiding his hand through the first touch as a reminder).

Good luck and keep us posted!