Author Topic: Not sleeping well in big boy bed  (Read 761 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: March 24, 2015, 23:25:08 pm »
DS just turned 2.5 months. We transitioned him to a big boy bed just over a week ago. No bed rails, but it's low to the ground. I'm pretty sure that his recent tantrums, defiance, etc. have been caused by his possibly restless sleep since transitioning. He napped at my parents in a playpen most days last week, but by the weekend he was miserable. And also only napping 1.5 hours, the normal is at least 2 hours. Then today he only napped one hour at my parents place, after a 10.5 hour night of sleep. I'm pretty sure he just doesn't sleep as soundly in his new bed. Any tips? He has fallen out once, but we got to him almost immediately and he'd already climbed back into bed, and then started to cry. I always find him out of his blankets by the middle of the night, and his head is on the opposite side of the bed.
Any tips for helping improve his sleep?

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:06 am »
Hi Hun,

I have seen this on the forum many times, so can I just ask what was the reason for moving him into the bed  ??? For us it was because DS was so tall and outgrew it and also he climbed out and was in danger of hurting himself. If there was no particular reason, TBH I would consider putting him back in it until he is ready. I've know many parents revert when it hasn't worked out. Otherwise how about using a safety guard or even 2 right along the side, so he gets the feeling he is still enclosed which may be what he liked about the cot. There are some good products out there which may help:

http://gro.co.uk/grobag-nursery-stay-on-bedding/big-adventure-gro-to-bed

^ This bedding range is awesome and sorts out bedding falling off, and is safe. Also it can help little one feel more secure, like being in a sleeping bag.

Bolsters are good too :)

With DS I used a fitted sheet and just rolled up a blanket which I put on the edge of the bed underneath the sheet to act like a bolster cushion. When he first went into a bed I think he felt exposed, even though he liked it, and this helped.

I hope something here is useful to you Hun  :-*

x.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:33:53 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Not sleeping well in big boy bed
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 16:11:17 pm »
Lots of play in and around the bed can help tremendously. Crawling all over the bed, climbing up and down, walking and crawling around it, and on it around the perimeter. All in a playful way. This will more rapidly help to map the area so he knows thoroughly where he is when asleep.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 21:09:23 pm »
Lots of play in and around the bed can help tremendously. Crawling all over the bed, climbing up and down, walking and crawling around it, and on it around the perimeter. All in a playful way. This will more rapidly help to map the area so he knows thoroughly where he is when asleep.

Never hear this before :) x.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Not sleeping well in big boy bed
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 23:25:49 pm »
It was something I read back when I was moving DS to BBB.  It was called a bed "safari". It was an interesting read and explained that adults have a mental map of the size and shape of a bed to prevent us falling out. The article suggested not using any kind of toddler rail etc on the big bed but instead focusing on giving activity time for LO to map the space thoroughly so their subconscious can keep them in the right place during sleep.
A pillow can also help learn to stay the right way up and not move about the bed so much.  I'd suggest a very flat pillow and only if LO likes the idea of it.