Author Topic: Snacks  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Pinkviolet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:37:55 am »
I am wondering what portion of snack you give/gave to to your lo at 13 ( almost 14) months? I think I might be giving too big a snack as he is hit and a bit miss with eating his whole dinner/lunch at times. Some Snacks I'm giving are:
1/2 cheese scone
1/2-1 veg muffin
1/2-1 veg fritter
1/2 mini pitta bread with hummous or tuna pâté
1/2-1 egg & veg frittata muffin

It occurred to me that these are possibly more like a meal to him, should I just give a little fruit or breadstick/rice cake instead? I was giving this kind of thing but felt i was missing an opportunity to get nutritous food in so swapped it to veg muffins etc.

Thanks in advance!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Snacks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:29 am »
Those look like big snacks to me, almost like a full meal. For us, a snack would be a couple of slices of apple or carrot, or like 2-3 of those little baby rice cakes.

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:53:21 am »
Yeah, those portions would be closer to full meals for us.
She's 3 now and 1 egg and a muffin would def be enough for her for lunch.
You can just give fruit and veg as snacks if you want to get vitamins in. Smoothies work pretty well here too and they are great for hiding veg in;)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 18:03:44 pm »
They also look more towards meal sized than snack sized to me too - but I want to add that mine had a HUGE snack around 10.30 which was more like a lunch because that was when he had the appetite to eat lots. I still offered lunch at 12 but didn't expect it to be particularly big.  For me the thing with such a huge snack early in the day is that if he was going to eat that much it needed to have variety, lots of bread sticks or even lots of fruit wasn't the answer, it did need to be varied (if not a varied 'meal' then varied across the week). Bean burgers or fritters or lentil burgers or vegi muffins or pancakes were helpful for out and about 'snacks' along with fruit and some left over veg from the night before.
Gradually he was able to have more of a snack at snack time and lunch at lunch time. I always followed his appetite for times he was most hungry tbh.

Offline Pinkviolet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 18:11:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Think I'm going to reduce the size a bit!
I have a few more questions but regarding texture etc. so will start a new thread. Thanks all :)