Author Topic: Longer morning A time or afternoon A time at 21 months?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Longer morning A time or afternoon A time at 21 months?
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:06:04 am »
Do you find that a longer morning A time works better or a longer A time before bed? How long is your day with a 1.5 hour nap?  11-12 hours? We are doing 5-5.5 morning A time and 5.5/6 A time before bed.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Longer morning A time or afternoon A time at 21 months?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 16:07:43 pm »
Mine always had long morning A time (up to 8hrs) and shorter afternoon A time (4hr). He only ever did 10.5 or 11 hr nights, reducing his nap didn't extend his nights, its just the way he was, needed a 2hr nap and a shorter night all the way up to dropping the nap for good (by which time nights were even shorter - after nap drop though 12hr day, 12 hr night).

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 16:55:32 pm »
Wow that's a long morning! That would be a 330 nap here! Yikes. Ok today I'm trying 1 pm nap. The only reason I hadnt changed it was because we were doing set nap times at 1230.  What does your morning routine look like. As of now we have lunch and go right up for nap but that's going to need to change. Are there any activities that won't wind him up before lunch?  He will probably nap until 215 230 and then in bed for 730 but will not be asleep until eight normally.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 17:55:10 pm »
Yes long morning. But remember at this age LOs are all very different, it's not so much like babies where there is an average time to guide you.
We also had set nap, but by set I mean regardless of WU time rather than never ever changing.  Lets say it was set at 1pm for a while, when that no longer worked (ie gave UT nap) then I'd shift it to 1.15 or 1.30 and that would be the new 'set' time and so on. I actually can't remember exactly what age he was when nap went to 2pm and BT also had to gradually shift to 8pm (rather than 7pm) but we stuck there for a good time and continued until 25 or so months at which point BT fussiness and callbacks started indicating we were on the road to nap drop.
I think you could shift snack and lunch up if you wanted to continued to go up for nap directly after eating. Or start a cuddles and story time on the sofa after lunch before nap?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 18:17:07 pm »
Thank you so much for the tips! So far two days of a 1 pm nap is working good! Although even though we had s good snack he still was going to the kitchen telling me he was hungry so I just tried to distract him as to push back the lunch time. He's such a creature of habit! Lol. He's not one to sit still on sofa for reading and cuddles but I might need to try it if nap gets pushed out any further as I can't make him wait that late for lunch. He's usually up or I wake him by 730 am and I put him in crib at 730 after tv show bath teeth pjs and a little milk in his chair in room. Lately he's not very interested in the milk but I still offer as to help with the windown even if it's just 5 mins. But he doesn't fall asleep until 8. He takes a good 30 mins to windown by himself in crib. I've even tried to put him in at 8 but he was just up until 830 which is too late here. Last night he was up in crib for 45 mins or so until 830 and im not sure why.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 18:20:45 pm »
Another thing is that even though he's going down easier for nap later at 1 he only sleeps about 1 hour 15 mins.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 23:56:59 pm »
If he likes to play with something, perhaps blocks or cars on the floor, whilst you read a story book you could do something like that after lunch. I am a believer in children being able to multitask and listen to a story whilst also playing, maybe even look up once in a while to see the picture if you turn the book around.

Did you move snack later as well as offering a larger snack?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 02:05:42 am »
Good idea?! He just usually gives me some trouble when I stop what Hes doing to bring him upstairs. Going to try to continue stalling lunch and going right up afterwards. Yes I offered a later larger snack. I think he's just accustomed to lunch after we've been out for a bit. I think it's just more of a routine than necessarily hunger. I'll see how tomorrow goes. But again tonight I put him in crub at 730 and he was awake chatting until 8 it seems as if he's not very tired but only took a 1 hour 15 min nap. Msybe I should wake him earlier in morning?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:01 am »
Does it matter that he is not sleeping until 8 and taking 30 mins to self settle?  if he is getting a full night sleep i would just put it down to him liking some chill out time on his own before sleeping.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 00:25:59 am »
But I had two nights this week where he went in at 730 and was still moving around at 820!! Like today I woke him at 730 he nspped from 1-220?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:43:53 am »
he went in at 730 and was still moving around at 820!!
I admit I wouldn't want mine awake that length of time before he slept but that's because his habit is to go to sleep within a couple of mins of getting into bed.  He does occasionally take longer.  You've said your DS likes 30 mins or so to fall to sleep anyway so although it's longer than that I wouldn't worry too much so long as he is happy enough in that time. Is he just chilling out in bed or shouting for you?

We had a huge language leap at 21 months, it disturbed sleep terribly for a few weeks.  I'm pretty sure I had a post on it back then.  If you think about it, they have so so much to work through and process and so much learning and processing of information happens when they are in bed (thinking of the day before sleeping) and through their dreams (can cause NW).  I would totally expect that in a week or two your LO is going to surprise you with lots of new words and sounds.  Awful whilst the sleep is disturbed but so lovely when they are communicating so much more afterwards.  From my experience the sleep tends to go back to normal after the leap.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 11:00:37 am »
He's just chilling out in their not calling me or crying! He is trying new words like crazy! So I'm sure it's that! Was just wondering if his A times were ok. I thought msybe he just needs longer A time before bed and now that Ive started extending morning A time to bring nap later to 1 it's kind of hard to give more A time before bed. I could try again put him in crib later than 730 but when I did try that he was up just as long and it just made bedtime that much later! I'm just going to ride it out and chalk it up to the language leap :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 17:24:40 pm »
Sounds like a good plan :) tbh it's hard to tweak a routine during a leap. it does sound like he's ok in his cot at BT though, I wouldn't worry x

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 01:43:43 am »
Another night of him being awake for 1 hour in crib! Maybe I should just keep him up later? He only had a 1 hour nap of which took me 30 mins to settle him so I thought he would be tired at bedtime. Maybe I should wake him earlier in morning ?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 19:03:19 pm »
I've had two days of him giving me trouble going down for nsp at 1 pm and only sleeping barely an hour and then up in his crib at night for an hour. Could it be ot?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 19:22:31 pm »
Was he sleeping a longer nap when it was a little earlier?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 20:05:57 pm »
Yes 1.5 hours even 2 sonetimes. He's still giving me a hard time going down at 1 like he was doing at 1230 so I'm not even sure if pushing it back helped. And two nights of beibg in his crib awake from 730-830?!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 23:28:21 pm »
Tonight I put him to bed early at 715 being that he only took an hour nap and he passed out within minutes! He hasnt done that in weeks! Can't figure this guy out!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 07:43:10 am »
Hopefully he can do a longer night with the shorter nap then :)