Author Topic: Help - 4 month old EW's loop  (Read 736 times)

Offline willywinki

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help - 4 month old EW's loop
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:02:14 pm »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice to get DS2 back on track.

He's 16 weeks by birth, 18 weeks by due date. He's been on EASY since about 2 weeks. He's self settled for naps (swaddled, no props) since he was 6/8 weeks. We had some really rough nights until he was diagnosed CMPI, and with new formula he has been sleeping through (7-7) with a dreamfeed for about 3 weeks.

I think we have 2 things hitting us at the same time
i) 3-4 transition - He pretty much led me on this one. He was stretching out his feeds and his A times, so he had happily been on 4hr EASY for about 2 weeks. Waking at 7/7.30, going to bed about 6.30 and sleeping through with a dream feed. Even with his early days, he's still seems OK with this.

ii) Big development leap (WW4). He's displaying a lot of the signs for this, eating hands, blowing raspberries, talking more, clingy, difficulty settling. I'd say this started about 1 week ago.

Now for about a week we have been getting EW's, usually at ~5am, which is typical OT from day i think? His day naps have been screwed up the last week or so, as i used to be able to get him from cot to carseat or vice versa without him waking, now he wakes as soon as he's moved but i dont have a choice as i have to take DS1 to nursery or pick him up. I have tried tried putting him down earlier, 5.30-6pm depending on his naps, but now his NW's have moved earlier to 4am, and that is it then!!!! I've tried PU/PD as sh/pat just seems to wind him up more, but it's not working. I did PU/PD with DS1 at a similar age to get rid of his dummy and it worked, but DS1 just gets more and more wound up with it. He literally screams when i pick him up, burrows his head down, so i lay him down, but he still cries. If i try and console im in his cot he cries. I was at it for over an hour the other day and he still didnt sleep. Settling for naps during the day is still reasonably good, he sometimes has a whinge but he's pretty good.

This is typical at the moment
Awake 4.30/5am!!!!! I check if he's poo'd or very wet and change him. Unless he's crying a don't interfere.
E 6.30/7 - 6oz
S 7-8.30 - Often this is screwed up as I leave house at ~ 8.30 to get DS 2 to nursery and he wakes when moved to car seat, then he won't go back to sleep in the car as he's had enough kip in his mind.
E 10.30/11 - 6oz
S 11-1pm
E 2.30 - 6oz
S - 3-3.40/4.30, again this is when i leave the house to pick up DS1 so it can be as short at 40 minutes
E 5.30 bed 7oz
E 11 dream feed 7oz

How the hell do i get him back on track and stop these NW's? He was happily settled on 4hr EASY sleeping 7-7, but i don't know to get back on track????? Help!!!!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Help - 4 month old EW's loop
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 20:59:33 pm »
First thought - I think you're in the UK?  Clocks forward this weekend so automatically you'll be on a 5.30/6-6.30 day from Sunday :). 11-11.5h night sleep is far more typical for LOs over 3-4 months so you may want to start shifting your whole day forwards after DST, say 10 mins every 3 days until you reach a 7/7.30 bedtime and hopefully more like a 6.30/7 start to the day.  What do you think?