Author Topic: 21 months addicted to wi/wo?  (Read 954 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:09:48 am »
Asher wakes multiple times at night, usually he just wants me to lay him down again but it's frustrating because it breaks my sleep and i have to climb stairs to do it (my room is downstairs)
After he got over his cold and I felt he was better I did wi/wo and it took one hour but then he slept through the night for three nights (hallelujah!) then he started waking twice a night, I wouldn't go to him unless it was a NEED cry and once I lay him down he would grab his dummy and lay back down. He's been doing this for months, never really slept through the night, always cried out a couple times just to be layed back down by me. Didn't bother me so much because I was two steps away, now it's hard to climb stairs half asleep three or four times a night.
So what do I do? If I continue this it will just go on but if i don't go to him then it's cio isn't it?? I feel like he's addicted to needing me to lay him down. He's not sick anymore, doesn't seem to be teething (and I've given pain relief just in case and it hasn't made any difference) I've tried reducing naps, giving longer naps, nothing else seems to make a difference. If he sttn last week for three nights then he can do it again right? Waaaah I've got no idea!! Lol

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 21 months addicted to wi/wo?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:13:55 am »
(((hugs))) you just stop laying him down! you could just pop your head round the door and tell him 'lie down' and yes there will be screaming and carrying on, but eventually he will go back to sleep he won't stay awake all night! I'd also make sure that at bedtime you are putting him down awake, and get him to lie himself down at bedtime too.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:42:21 am »
I did try that and he got so upset that he nearly vomited and hyperventilated. He also got out of bed and opened the door (new house has ridiculously low door handles!!!)

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:58 am »
I guess my point is, the only way you're going to stop laying him down is to stop laying him down. kwim? If you keep doing it, he'll keep expecting/wanting it, no two ways about it. How about some kind of gradual withdrawal where you sit next to his cot and then move away over the subsequent days.

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 13:04:43 pm »
Wanted to just add some hugs on this, DD used to be a little like this. She used to call out just to be told to go back to sleep - didn't really need anything just a little reassurance to go back down (she was a totally independent sleeper otherwise). It did eventually stop (for the most part), and I think it was time that eventually solved it (any nw's were mostly taken care of by DH, but I don't think they were as often as you are describing). You could try to just sit in the room and wait for him to settle by himself, so he is doing it, but doesn't have to scream to get your attention since you are right there. But don't talk much or loudly, just sit there quietly waiting for him to resettle.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 18:03:19 pm »
If I sit in his room he will just play or try and climb all over me so looks like I'm
Gonna have to bite the bullet and just do what Anna said. After having to go to him every single hour last night im over it