Author Topic: Nursing strike help.  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Niknats

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 26, 2015, 15:59:49 pm »
My 11 month old has been EBF. He hasn't done great with solids but he is getting better but always loved breast feeding so much so I was worried I wouldn't be able to wean him off. 3 days ago he had a sickness and diarrhoea bug since then he has refused the breast. He won't have any other type of milk either. Since then my normally contented baby does nothing but cry. All night and all day. He used to only get upset when he wanted his milk!!. He no longer is ill and is eating some solids but I am sure what he eats is not filling him up and he needs milk but he won't have any. I don't know what to do for the best. I am so tired because he won't sleep longer than 90minutes ( I also have a just 3 year old)  and also sad he no longers wants to breast feed and I wasn't ready to give it up!! Any advice much appreciated.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Nursing strike help.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 16:03:11 pm »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Nursing strike help.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 13:37:53 pm »
Hugs. It is hard to wean at any age isn't it? I weaned both my two oldest at 26mo and it was my choice but I still felt sad for a bit. It was partly due to it being an end of an era and partly due to the hormones when you cease BFing.

Will your 11mo take pumped milk in a cup or bottle at all? Perhaps you could pump to maintain supply even if he isn't drinking it. You could always use it in food. I'd try to give plenty of milky foods like cereal or milky puddings if he will eat them. He's nearly a year so should be able to get a significant amount of his nutrients from solid foods anyway so try not to worry too much. Is he drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated?

Have you tried latching him on just as he is waking up or even doing a DF when he is sleeping at night?

Sometimes a tummy bug can cause a temporary dairy intolernce so babies don't want milk for a bit after being ill. Hopefully he will go back to it if you are still offering.

Check out our FAQ for more ideas. Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 14:31:02 pm »
If you don't think he's eating enough, what kind of solids are you offering? Are you giving him protein and fats to fill up his tummy so that he can sleep better? If he has never been big on eating meat, this could be a good chance to get him interested. And lots of water if he won't drink milk - you could even add a splash of juice to the water to encourage him to drink it if he's dehydrated, though that can exacerbate diarrhea. If he's getting most of his food from solids, he will probably need three solid meals and 2-3 snacks at this point. Yogurt could be another good food for him if he's not drinking any milk. Mine likes plain yogurt with a little spreadable fruit mixed in.

Definitely pump if you don't think you're ready to wean yet, but be careful - if you overdo it, you may end up engorged, especially if he doesn't return to the breast after all.

My baby weaned himself at 11.5 months because I was pregnant and had no milk supply anymore, so I don't have any advice for getting him interested again. I hope it works out, though!