Author Topic: Other sleep books?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: March 26, 2015, 21:28:38 pm »
I just discovered Baby Whisperer while reading up before my second little one comes in a couple of months - how I wish I had had that book before my first baby was born! I also got The Contented Little Baby book from the library and have been working through it as well. It seems similar in a lot of ways, with the EASY routine, but the Contented Little Baby provides much more detailed structure.

I was wondering if any of you have read or tried both, and what you think of them in comparison. Is there anything in Contented Little Baby that Tracy Hogg would have objected to? Can you use both books together? I kind of like how CLB gives more detail on how to shift the routine as your baby gets older, but BW has much more information on getting your child to sleep and seems to cover more general subjects better. Thoughts?

Also, I haven't read Babywise yet, but I think it's structured around a similar idea? I've heard a lot of bad things about it, but it continues to be popular. How does it compare to BW?

How about Happiest Baby on the Block? I liked that book with my first baby, but I thought it might go against BW philosophy as it suggests letting your child fall asleep with props like the swing in the beginning instead of "starting as you mean to go on."

Any other books that would be helpful supplements to BW?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:02:49 am by jessmum46 »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Contented Little Baby, Babywise, etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
We're glad you found us too :D

Many of us have many other books in tandem with BW.  Tracy even recommends certain books in her own books.  E.g. In her BW Toddler book she refers to Superbaby Food Book by Ruth Yaron.  We have a section here: Companion Books/Methods Our main concern with other methods being discussed on our site is if they are not in line with Tracy's  BW ethos and philosophy.  CIO/CC methods for sleep training for example does not fit into her teachings of listening to and respecting your child.

The principle of EASY is a structured yet flexible routine of Eat, Activity and Sleep which is in line with Tracy's middle of the road philosophy of being neither entirely baby-led nor parent-led. Other methods which may give more detailed routine advice are often schedule-based ie parent-led or by the clock, and take less account of LOs cues. On the other hand are more attachment parenting styles which would advocate the use of what we would term 'props' for extended periods of time. 

It is possible to take elements of other books and use them with BW.  Many mums here have found Harvey Karp's 5s ritual for calming newborns very helpful for example, but as LOs grow up we would advocate the use of respectful techniques to promote independent sleeping rather than continuing to rely on e.g. rocking.  Similarly for reasons of family commitments etc some mums have chosen to use more set nap times from an early age, but could combine that with shh pat/PUPD for sleep training and have the flexibility to ignore the clock if LO requires on any given day.

We also have lots of sample routines here on the forums - Sample EASY Routines from 0 - 13mths+ - but if you have specific questions regarding your LO we are happy to help with more specific advice to your situation.

I hope that is some help :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:04:56 am by jessmum46 »

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 14:05:27 pm »
Thanks for your reply! I can definitely see how some of these other books are further on the spectrum toward parent-led parenting and how parents could easily get into the habit of watching the clock instead of their little one. As I go through the other books I'll try to take what seems useful and discard what's not, as any parent should do with parenting books.