Author Topic: Ditching juice and junk food  (Read 5243 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Ditching juice and junk food
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 14:04:47 pm »
A small snack here would be one of those small boxes of raisins, or 2-3 slices of apple (so less than half) or similar xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 14:56:49 pm »
yoghurt covered raisins
Just for info, all the ones I've seen/bought have sugar added, it isn't just yoghurt and raisins.  I still give them to DS but they are quite a treat here and not an everyday snack - not that i am against them, but I limit them (and choc raisins too) mainly because if DS thought he could have them all the time he would and I'd rather he had fresh fruit etc.

I agree about making the snack small enough so she can have a decent lunch. I get those very small apples to avoid having half an apple left in the fridge going brown.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 15:16:33 pm »
Ok so yoghurt raisins are off the menu.  I get the small kids apples and bananas I get but is that still a bit big for a small snack x

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 15:29:52 pm »
Yoghurt raisins don't have to be off the menu IMHO - I was suggesting them as a better alternative to a packet of Haribo  :). As Creations say they can be a treat.

Humzingers are normally found with the yoghurt raisins!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 16:14:11 pm »
Now that my kids are older and have lunch at school (and vastly different lunchtimes at that!), I find that when we're home or out as a family, we let them snack when they're hungry and eat meals when they need to, and I sort of did that when they were younger too (even though mealtimes weren't as far apart as 11AM and 1PM!). If she's not properly hungry till 11AM, I'd go ahead and feed her a decent meal then and call it lunch and call the milk drink "breakfast." If she's having milk when she wakes, will she take anything with that, like a bite of banana, or is that enough for her? Natalie would drink a (rice) milk in the morning and her appetite was all over the place, so we ended up adding some protein powder to it, putting it in a sports bottle, and she'd toddle out of her room, find it waiting for her at the end of the hallway, shake it up, and guzzle it for breakfast. (I used that particular protein powder because she was in an anti-veg stage at the time and this had some veg greens and juice hidden in it. ;))

As it turns out, each of my girls has a very different set of food and meal preferences: they like different foods, and at different times, in different quantities - I have one who's more a "carnivore," and another who self-selects away from most red meats, and while we ask them to try different things, they also know by now (at 13 and almost-10) what makes them feel good and what they just don't care for, so I don't mind making meals that I can adapt for them (like maybe a soup or stew where Natalie doesn't have much if any of the meat but does have more grains and veg). I do think it's important to let them learn to really listen to their bodies rather than just eating mindlessly. :) That's something I think we all learn gradually over time, given enough opportunity to do so.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 17:46:49 pm »
Yoghurt raisins don't have to be off the menu IMHO - I was suggesting them as a better alternative to a packet of Haribo
Oh yes I agree. they don't need to be a total no go and they are certainly better than Haribo.  They could even be a half way house to wean her off her haribo addiction ;)
EG a friend has sent over a family pack of Haribo for DS for Easter, it is going in the bin. I wouldn't throw a pack of yogurt raisins in the bin.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 20:54:23 pm »
When my boys were little & napped, they often didn't eat lunch (partly I guess I've never been a big lunch eater) their days tended to be Breakfast 7ish, big morning tea (toast or crumpets or cheese & crackers & fruit) then they'd nap & then they'd have a big afternoon tea (same sorts of thing as morning tea) & then they'd have Dinner at 6pm
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05